Ruling on antitrust lawsuit against NCAA to profit athletes

By Claire Fahy

NCAA athletes can claim a share of the revenue generated from the use of their likeness in both television programming and video games, U.S. District Judge Claudia Wilken ruled Friday.

In a suit led by former UCLA basketball player Ed O’Bannon, Wilken ruled that the NCAA’s strict economic constraints on its athletes is in violation of antitrust laws.

While the ruling is a game changer for the NCAA’s current model, it does not entirely rewrite its present game plan. NCAA policy will continue to forbid major payouts and salaries for players.

Instead, the league will be required to compensate players through a yearly minimum of $5,000 into trusts for athletes to receive upon departure from their respective programs.

O’Bannon and his fellow plaintiffs – roughly 19 other former collegiate athletes – will receive $60 million from the ruling, but the verdict will only go into effect starting with the 2016 recruiting class, meaning many current student-athletes will still miss out on compensation for their commercial profit.

Fans polled by the NCAA claimed they would be less interested in college sports if the athletes were paid for their play – a claim Wilken dismissed due to the fact athletes will only receive limited payment from her ruling.

Compiled by Claire Fahy, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Claire Fahy | Alumna
Fahy joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year. Fahy spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's water polo, men's volleyball and swim and dive beats.