LADWP says 20 million gallons leaked onto campus

By Daily Bruin

Officials said about 20 million gallons of water leaked from a water main on Sunset Boulevard during Tuesday’s flood, instead of the eight to 10 million previously estimated.

UCLA officials said on Wednesday they think the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power should bear the cost of fixing damage from the leak because UCLA is not responsible for the pipe that broke. Repairing the damages could cost millions of dollars.

A LADWP inspector is on site to determine the cost of the damage, said Jane Galbraith, a department spokeswoman.

In an afternoon press conference Wednesday, Jim McDaniel, senior assistant general manager for LADWP, said the leak has slowed to only about 1,000 gallons of water per minute, a fraction of the flow at its peak 75,000 gallons a minute on Tuesday. He added that Los Angeles consumes about 550 million gallons of water per day.

McDaniel also refuted claims that the pipe rupture was caused by individuals trying to conserve water.

The 20 million gallons of water that leaked could fill about 30 Olympic-sized swimming pools.

Courtesy of Kyle Tomita
Courtesy of Kyle Tomita

Several students in the North Village reported their water having a white color Tuesday evening.

In an email statement, Galbraith said the white color was due to small air bubbles in the water.

“LADWP’s water quality division has inspectors in the Westwood area to investigate any chlorine residual or bacteria in the water,” she said. “Their results will be available tomorrow.”

The Los Angeles County Metro announced several service changes to bus lines running through Westwood in a press release Wednesday. Sunset Boulevard between Veteran and Hilgard Avenues is still closed while officials work to slow the leak.

Compiled by Sam Hoff and Jeong Park, Bruin senior staff.

Daily Bruin