Jordan Lee: NFL training camps highlight what to watch for in upcoming season

By Jordan Lee

NFL training camps are now underway for all 32 teams, which means I can now start neglecting other parts of my life to overanalyze rich guys’ playing a game.

These summer days are a rare time in the NFL, when teams and fans have a shared sense of optimism about the forthcoming season – an optimism that will yield for some to a sobering reality come September. So it is in the spirit of both that I examine five things you should be watching this training camp, plus fantasy tips.

Make-or-Break: QB Eli Manning, New York Giants; QB Andy Dalton, Cincinnati Bengals

While brother Peyton was having a career year to end all career years, New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning had a year that could’ve ended his career. Eli Manning led the league in interceptions for the third time in his career, throwing an alarming 27 picks. After back-to-back years of completing less than 60 percent of his passes and making zero playoff appearances, the 33-year-old Manning can’t afford another sub-par year before the media and fans start calling for a new name under center. A strong camp would go a long way in allaying the concerns surrounding Manning.

Another quarterback in need of a confidence boost entering this season is Cincinnati’s Andy Dalton. After a third dreadful postseason performance in as many years, Dalton needs to show in camp that his poor play at the end of the 2013 season hasn’t carried into a crucial 2014 season. The former TCU Horned Frog enters this season on the last year of his rookie contract. A strong showing this summer could go a long way in alleviating any trepidation – the front office’s and the fans’ – in doling out big bucks to the four-year starter.

Welcome to the NFL: Cleveland Browns CB Justin Gilbert; New Orleans Saints WR Brandin Cooks

Oh yeah, that’s right – the Cleveland Browns did have two first-round picks. You may have forgotten that amid the non-stop media circus surrounding No. 22 pick Johnny Manziel. Cornerback Justin Gilbert – possibly the most overlooked top-10 pick in recent memory – merits more attention than his fellow first-round teammate.

For starters, Gilbert is more likely to play on opening day than Manziel, who is currently a distant second on the depth chart behind Brian Hoyer. Furthermore, Gilbert has impressed early on and could pair with Pro Bowler Joe Haden to form one of the best young tandems in the game. Gilbert is also an excellent return man, and it will be interesting to see how the Browns use the playmaking defensive back.

Brandin Cooks, meanwhile, is a case of the rich getting richer. In the off-season the Saints lost their diminutive dynamic running back Darren Sproles, who signed with the Philadelphia Eagles. So they drafted the younger, slightly taller, potentially more exciting Cooks. With last season’s No. 2 receiver Lance Moore now in Pittsburgh, Cooks should excel in Sean Payton’s pass-heavy, creative offense as the Saints figure how to come up with a variety of ways to get the football to the speedy receiver.

Position Battle: the Tennessee Titans offensive line

Yeah, this isn’t going to move the needle for a lot of you, but I’m writing about it anyway. The Titans continued to rebuild their offensive line this past off-season by adding former Ravens tackle Michael Oher. Tennessee then doubled down and selected promising Michigan tackle Taylor Lewan with the 11th pick in the draft. Those moves alone appear to be solid, as Oher is a serviceable right tackle, while Lewan was the best player available for Tennessee on draft day.

But the Titans also have talented left tackle Michael Roos still on the roster. Now, advanced math tells me that three guys can’t play two spots. Some would suggest moving either Oher or Lewan inside to guard, but that position is equally crowded with Andy Levitre, the team’s highest-paid player and Chance Warmack, the 10th selection in the 2013 draft, penciled in as starters. Also, did I mention that the Titans signed Oher to a four-year, $20 million deal and are paying Roos over $7 million this year? That’s five guys the Titans have invested a lot in vying for four spots. None are likely cuts based on what Tennessee has invested in each player, which means a trade is possible. If all are still on the roster come opening day then the Titans will have one of the team’s top-six highest paid players – Levitre, Roos or Oher – or one of their last two first-rounders riding the bench.

Too Early Fantasy Football Tips

In this year’s fantasy drafts a lot of people are going to want to draft Peyton Manning too early – don’t be one of them. Though Manning threw for a league-record 5,477 and 55 touchdowns last season you shouldn’t expect the same results in 2014 if history has anything to say about it. Drew Brees is the only player to ever throw for 5,000 yards in consecutive years, so expect Manning to return to his career average of about 4,300 yards. Brees is also the only player to throw for 40-plus touchdowns for two straight years. Manning threw 37 touchdowns his first year in Denver and is closer to what you should expect this year.

This should make Denver running back Montee Ball an enticing second-to-third round option. With Manning at quarterback, the likes of Dominic Rhodes, Joseph Addai and Knowshon Moreno have all been viable fantasy options at one point or another. With Moreno now in Miami and no real competition in Denver for carries, particularly near the goal line, Ball should be in line for a breakout year.

Jordan Lee | Alumnus
Lee joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2011 and contributed until he graduated in 2011. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2013-2014 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, softball and women's volleyball beats.