ASUCLA Board of Directors recap – July 25

By Sam Hoff

July 28, 2014 3:10 a.m.

Associated Students UCLA is a multimillion-dollar organization that provides student services and activities that the university does not fund. It oversees the Undergraduate Students Association Council, Graduate Students Association, Communications Board, campus services and enterprises.

Budgets

• The Board of Directors unanimously approved the 2014-2015 Undergraduate Students Association and Graduate Students Association budgets. The USAC budget reflects the first income from the Arts Restoring Community student fee approved by undergraduates in May and an increase in some USAC member stipends in line with the California minimum wage changes. The GSA budget did not reflect any new referenda.

Store

• The UCLA Store plans to open an online computer store and a mobile store site in coming weeks in an effort to boost sales, said ASUCLA Executive Director Robert Williams.
  • The store had a slightly lower-than-expected gross margin partly because of reduced traffic during the construction on the Meyer and Renee Luskin Conference and Guest Center and the Engineering VI building near Ackerman Union.
  • Bearwear, the UCLA Store website and the market fell short on their expected contributions to the association.

Food

• Greenhouse, Rubio’s Fresh Mexican Grill and Panda Express sales have been strong recently, but A-level stores including Taco Bell have not been performing as well as expected. Taco Bell fell $9,000 below its plan in May.
  • Williams and Food Service Director Cindy Bolton met with USAC President Devin Murphy to begin discussions about building a café in Powell Library. They talked about several potential locations for the new cafe, including near the desk on the second floor.
  • ASUCLA catering and concessions performed well in May and June.
  • The future Kikka Sushi restaurant space is still being renovated on the A-level at a site that used to be Coinz.
  • The North Campus Student Center’s revenue fell below its budget by about $30,000.

Compiled by Sam Hoff, Bruin senior staff.

Sam Hoff | Alumnus