Album Review: ‘World Peace Is None of Your Business’

(Harvest Records)

"World Peace Is None of Your Business"
Morrissey
Harvest Records

By Christina Vo

July 21, 2014 12:00 a.m.

There are two things that Morrissey, the legendary “Pope of Mope,” never fails to do: stir controversy and put out good music.

As with all of his other work, Morrissey continues to pursue a personal brand of individuality that only he can market. He deviates from the typical verse-chorus song format and boldly shares views that could infuriate many.

The title of his 10th studio album, “World Peace Is None of Your Business,” released on July 15, reflects the amount of social critique that Morrissey has in store for his listeners. The title itself shows how little he cares for anyone’s opinion but his own.

Also the first track of the album, “World Peace Is None of Your Business” sets the tone for the album with its politically charged lyrics and its slow buildup to a foot-stomping tempo and chaotic melody that matches the song’s message.

Morrissey points out what he believes is the pointlessness of protest by indicating that things will never change. What actually packs the punch behind his criticisms is the shockingly true claim that “Each time you vote, you support the process.”

The subsequent tracks in the album generally follow the same vein: Nearly every one of them points out humanity’s hypocrisy and criticizes our social establishment’s flaws.

While the jarring guitar melody of “Neal Cassady Drops Dead” contrasts well with Morrissey’s smooth vocals, the lyrics err on the tacky side because of its excessive rhyming and intense cynicism.

The next tracks ride off the slight slump of “Neal Cassady Drops Dead” and continue the momentum that “World Peace Is None of Your Business” started. The lyrical quality of the album reaches its height with the song “I’m Not a Man,” in which Morrissey mocks masculinity and champions animal rights.

“I’m not a man/ I’d never kill or eat an animal/ And I never would destroy this planet I’m on/ Well, what do you think I am?/ A man?” Morrissey sings.

Morrissey’s criticisms against the human race proceed with the song “Earth Is the Loneliest Planet,” in which he once again displays lyrical genius through his use of irony and paradox.

“But you’re in the wrong place and you’ve got the wrong face/ And humans are not really very humane/ And Earth is the loneliest planet of all,” Morrissey belts out.

In addition, he evokes feelings of solitude by adding an accordion and isolating certain instruments at specific points in the song. The track’s abrupt end also conjures a feeling of emptiness.

Perhaps the most controversial song in the entire album is “Kick the Bride Down the Aisle,” with its sarcastically misogynistic interpretation of a housewife. Though the lyrics are extremely offensive to women, from calling the bride in the song a “cow” to accusing her of treating her husband like a slave so she can laze around, the song’s composition is excellent.

It begins with an ominous heap of organ chords, then utilizes wedding ceremony instruments like the harp and tolling bells to make the song sound as creepy and threatening as possible. The song’s menacing tone blends well with the lyrics, as both elements twist marriage into an institution of torture and slavery.

The album reaches a low point with “Kiss Me a Lot” and its cheesy rhyming, but it stands out the most because it celebrates sexual love in the midst of songs that talk about politics, social decay and animal abuse.

While catchier than the other songs, “Kiss Me a Lot” lacks the thoughtful songwriting that characterizes tracks like “Earth Is the Loneliest Planet.” The latter combines both lyrics and melody to convey a particular feeling or theme, while “Kiss Me a Lot” comes off as corny and banal.

Though Morrissey brings up controversial topics and opinions that most are too afraid to speak up about, his true strength lies in song composition. He skillfully mixes different genres of music, like Portuguese fado and indie rock, and unlikely pairings of instruments, like accordion with electric guitar, into a jarring yet smooth compound of sound that offers a breath of fresh air from Top-40 music.

His music is definitely different. Though irritatingly sanctimonious and offensive at times, Morrissey’s tracks still have an upper hand over most of today’s music because he’s still trying to get meaningful messages out to his listeners.

Christina Vo