Regents meeting continues, board approves administrator pay increases

By Emily Suh

SAN FRANCISCO The University of California Board of Regents discussed salary increases for administrators when it met at UC San Francisco’s Mission Bay campus for its meeting on Thursday.

The board later passed a resolution to honor the students who died in May’s UC Santa Barbara shooting.

It also confirmed Dr. Sam Hawgood as the new chancellor for UC San Francisco with a $750,000 salary, $250,000 of which will be funded by an endowment. The board confirmed Anne Shaw, the current associate secretary to the regents, as secretary and chief of staff to the regents.

Salary increases for administrators

The board approved 3 percent base salary increases for select senior management officials, such as UCLA Chancellor Gene Block, to keep consistent with a 3 percent increase non-represented staff received in July, according to a recent report from the UC Office of the President.

The approved change is the only pay raise received by some of the highest-level administrators at the UC, like chancellors, in the past seven years, according to the report. The report said the rate of increase is lower than the average rate of wage growth in the labor market, which is estimated to be 18.7 percent over the same time frame.

Under the changes, Block’s base salary will increase from $416,000 to $428,480 per year.

Chancellors at UC campuses have pay rates that rank in the bottom third in comparison to chancellors at similar institutions of higher education, said Regent George Kieffer, the chairman of the committee on compensation at the UC Board of Regents meeting on Thursday.

Resolution on UCSB shooting

On Thursday, the regents also passed a resolution written in memory of the students who died in the UC Santa Barbara shooting in May.

In late May, Elliot Rodger, a Santa Barbara City College student, shot and killed six UCSB students and injured 13 others while driving through Isla Vista, a residential neighborhood located close to the Santa Barbara campus.

The resolution is meant to express solidarity and a shared sense of deep mourning within the University community, said Regents Chairman Bruce Varner during the meeting.

Student Regent Sadia Saifuddin said that in grasping what she said were tragic consequences of mental illness and misogyny reflected in the shooting, the UC community must make a commitment to combat them in the future.

Compiled by Emily Suh, Bruin senior staff.

Emily Suh