NBA Draft live blog

Former UCLA guard/forward Kyle Anderson is one of the NBA Draft prospects from UCLA who has been projected to go in the first round. (Katie Meyers/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Daily Bruin

After winning the admiration of fans with highlight reels and instagrammed vertical leaps that seem to defy gravity, it’s time for the prospects of this year’s NBA Draft to see if they’ve also done enough to entice the NBA general managers. UCLA will have three entries in this year’s draft – guard Jordan Adams, guard/forward Kyle Anderson and guard Zach LaVine, all of whom have been touted as potential first-round draftees. The draft begins Thursday at 4 p.m., stay tuned for live updates.

4:42 p.m. – Round 1, 1st overall: Andrew Wiggins, G, Kansas – Cleveland Cavaliers

Picking first overall for the third time in four years, the Cleveland Cavaliers began the night with less of a surprise than a year ago – when they stunned the league by selecting Anthony Bennett – drafting Andrew Wiggins, a shooting guard out of Kansas.

The hype surrounding Wiggins for the past few years seemed to have worked to his disadvantage for much of the year. Often hailed as one of the best draft prospects since LeBron James, Wiggins far from lived up to the lofty expectations placed on him at Kansas. Wiggins managed to record 17.1 points and 5.9 rebounds per game, but did not look polished offensively, with a unreliable jump shot and bouts of passiveness. However, the hype surrounding him did keep him in the mix for a top pick, as did his strong defense and elite athleticism. He’s a work in progress and is still pretty raw offensively, but Wiggins oozes with potential. Many pundits have compared him to Paul George, should Wiggins reach his ceiling. With point guard Kyrie Irving capable of handling the primary offensive responsibilities, Wiggins should have room to grow offensively without too much pressure while still contributing defensively, an area that Irving – and the Cavs in general – struggles in.  Wiggins doesn’t seem to be everything he was built up to be, and he will likely never live up to the unrealistic hype placed on him when he was in high school. But regardless, he projects to be, at the very least, a terrific defender with enough athleticism to find points on offense. – compiled by Kevin Bowman, Bruin Sports senior staff.

4:48 p.m. – Round 1, 2nd overall: Jabari Parker, F, Duke – Milwaukee Bucks

At No. 2 overall, the Milwaukee Bucks drafted small forward Jabari Parker out of Duke. As of now, Parker figures to be a frontrunner for Rookie of the Year award. He has the most developed offensive game of any player in the draft and has the size and strength to be able to put his skills to work right away. There were concerns throughout the draft process that Parker’s conditioning wasn’t great and that he was overweight, but he reportedly looked to be in much better shape this week.

Often compared to Carmelo Anthony, Parker is big for a small forward and is capable of scoring both outside and inside. Parker struggled at times with his outside shot at Duke and he isn’t anywhere near the athlete that Andrew Wiggins is, but he still should be an immediate impact player on offense for the Bucks.

In his one game against UCLA on December 19, Parker scored 23 points, knocked down four three pointers and grabbed 10 rebounds in the Blue Devils’ 80-63 victory.

– compiled by Kevin Bowman, Bruin Sports senior staff.

4:54 p.m. – Round 1, 3rd overall: Joel Embiid, C, Kansas – Philadelphia 76ers

Kansas center Joel Embiid was selected third overall by the Philadelphia 76ers. Embiid seemed destined to make people forget about Greg Oden. A center with size, athleticism, shot blocking prowess and some offensive skills, Embiid was a lock for the No. 1 overall pick, even after a back injury kept him out for the end of the season at Kansas. However, a stress fracture in his navicular bone in his foot and subsequent surgery changed the entire landscape of the draft, and made Oden’s history seem to repeat itself. Embiid will be out four to six months, and the history of his injury doesn’t bode well for him either, as many former players with the same injury struggled to get back to the court and remain healthy. If Embiid can overcome the injury bug, he could very well be the best player out of this class, with a game that reminds many of Hakeem Olajuwon.

5:00 p.m. – Round 1, 4th overall: Aaron Gordon, F, Arizona – Orlando Magic

Arizona power forward Aaron Gordon was drafted fourth overall by the Orlando Magic. Gordon, the Pac-12 Freshman of the Year, often draws comparisons to Clipper’s star Blake Griffin. The two can both jump high and are around the same height, but the similarities end there. While Gordon has become a household name because of his highlight-reel dunks (and Kia commercials), Gordon utilizes his athleticism for mostly defensive purposes. The forward can defend multiple positions, shutting down wings and big men alike. UCLA guard/forward Kyle Anderson struggled to get to the rim with Gordon defending him in the Bruins’ two games against the Wildcats last season. While Gordon’s offensive arsenal is still a work in progress, he should make a big contribution on the defensive end for the Magic, even if it doesn’t show up in the box score.

5:07 p.m. – Round 1, 5th overall: Dante Exum, G, Australia – Utah Jazz

Despite a decent rookie year from point guard Trey Burke, the Utah Jazz selected another point guard, Dante Exum, fifth overall. An Australian point guard, Exum is considered by many draft analysts to be the best point guard prospect in the draft, although comparing his resume to that of college players presents a challenge, given the different levels of competition and style of play between the NCAA and Australian leagues. But at 6-foot-6 and athletic, Exum has the look of a modern NBA point guard. In international competition, he excelled at getting to the free throw line and finishing in the lane. However, there have been the inevitable questions from NBA teams about whether Exum is a “true point guard,” the same queries that NBA stars Russell Westbrook and Stephen Curry are faced with. He may not be a pass first player, but the Jazz were smart not to pass on him.

5:13 p.m. – Round 1, 6th overall: Marcus Smart, G, Oklahoma State – Boston Celtics

He could have been a top three pick a year ago, but instead Marcus Smart chose to return for his sophomore year at Oklahoma State. In a deeper draft class this year, Smart dropped to sixth, drafted by the Boston Celtics. Smart has the look of a professional athlete, that’s for sure, but maybe more of a linebacker than a point guard, even. At 6-foot-3, 227 points, he’s a bruising guard (in more ways than one if you ask Jeff Orr) who can get where he wants on the floor. However, he’s had several behavioral incidents that could persist in the NBA, most notably with Orr, who Smart shoved after Orr allegedly used a racial slur. Smart averaged 18 points, 5.9 rebounds and 4.8 assists, showing he can contribute in multiple areas.

With Smart on the roster, the ever-flimsy future of point guard Rajon Rondo with the Celtics is cast into even more doubt. Smart could make Rondo expendable for Boston and general manager Danny Ainge has reportedly been floating Rondo’s name out in trade talks for several years. Smart’s presence could indicate a trade coming to fruition soon.
5:18 p.m. – Round 1, 7th overall: Julius Randle, F, Kentucky – Los Angeles Lakers
With a rare lottery pick, the Los Angeles Lakers selected power forward Julius Randle with the No. 7 pick. The star of the runner-up Kentucky Wildcats, Randle often draws comparisons to Zach Randolph. An excellent rebounder and crafty scorer, Randle looks to have the tools to be a successful NBA power forward. However, he is a liability defensively, needs to improve his jump shot and struggled at times against longer and more athletic defenders. Still, Randle has the skills to find a way to be productive. With Kobe Bryant’s career in its final stages, a player like Randle, who has enough skills to contribute immediately, the Lakers added another piece to gear up for another playoff run.

5:23 p.m. – Round 1, 8th overall: Nik Stauskas, G, Michigan – Sacramento Kings
The Sacramento Kings chose Michigan guard Nik Stauskas with the No. 8 overall pick. Stauskas is one of several college shooting guards looking to prove they can play point guard at the next level. Known mostly for his outside shooting, Stauskas has shown the ability to handle the ball well during pre-draft workouts, making some draft analysts believe he’s capable of making the transition. If not, a 6-foot-7 guard who can shoot is still always valuable.
5:30 p.m. – Round 1, 9th overall: Noah Vonleh, F, Indiana – Charlotte Hornets
The first to drop in the draft, Indiana power forward Noah Vonleh finally heard his name called at No. 9 by the Charlotte Hornets after initially being considered a top-5 pick. Vonleh has the tools to be the prototypical modern big man. A power forward who can hit three-point shots, rebound inside, block shots and who has athleticism, Vonleh has the potential to be great. But at this point, it is just potential, not entirely production. Vonleh still needs to add strength and refine his game to flourish at the NBA level. On a Hornets team with young talent, he should have time to do so and the opportunity to get early minutes.

5:37 p.m. – Round 1, 10th overall: Elfrid Payton, G, Louisiana Lafatyette – Philadelphia 76ers
With their second lottery pick, the Philadelphia 76ers chose point guard Elfrid Payton. Payton is considered by many to be the “sleeper” of this year’s draft. Tall and athletic, the Louisiana-Lafayette point guard certainly seems to have the skill set an NBA point guard needs. He can defend, he can pass, he’s fast, he’s athletic, he can rebound. Payton still struggles with his outside shot, but he can still develop into a good floor general. With point guard Michael Carter-Williams, the reigning Rookie of the Year, already on the roster, adding Payton could mean trades are in the works for Philadelphia.

5:43 p.m. – Round 1, 11th overall: Doug McDermott, F, Creighton – Denver Nuggets

The Denver Nuggets selected Creighton forward Doug McDermott 11th overall. Despite being older than many other draftees, McDermott spent his time in college proving his worth and his pre-draft process proving doubters wrong. He’s proved he can score. He’s proved he can rebound. He’s proved he’s not undersized. He proved he’s more athletic than previously thought. He can shoot, he knows how to play the game and he knows how to win. McDermott seems to have all the skills to have success in the NBA.

UCLA guard Zach LaVine’s name came up in several mock drafts at this spot, but the Nuggets went in a different direction.

Shortly after his selection McDermott was traded to Chicago for the 16th and 19th overall picks.

5:51 p.m. – Round 1, 12th overall: Dario Šarić, F, Croatia – Orlando Magic

The Orlando Magic selected forward Dario Šarić with the 12th overall pick, but he is reportedly being traded to Philadelphia for Elfrid Payton. Šarić  may just be the Euroleague version of Kyle Anderson. Also a point forward, Šarić  can dribble, distribute and rebound well. However, he just signed a new contract, keeping him in Europe and away from the NBA for at least a few more years. But for a player the 76ers can stash overseas, there’s not many with as good a value as Šarić .

Šarić was later confirmed to have been traded to the 76ers for Elfrid Payton.

5:56 p.m. – Round 1, 13th overall: Zach LaVine, G, UCLA – Minnesota Timberwolves

Former UCLA guard Zach LaVine was selected by the X in the first round as the X overall pick. (Erin Ng/Daily Bruin senior staff)
Former UCLA guard Zach LaVine was selected by the Minnesota Timberwolves in the first round as the 13th overall pick. (Erin Ng/Daily Bruin senior staff)

Former UCLA freshman guard Zach LaVine was selected 13th overall by the Minnesota Timberwolves in Thursday’s NBA draft, joining former Bruin Shabazz Muhammad, who was drafted by the Timberwolves last year.

LaVine, who attended the draft at the Barclays Center in New York City was the first Bruin to hear his name called Thursday night.

In his one season at UCLA, LaVine was a bit of an enigma. After a stellar beginning to the year, shooting up the draft boards with his elite athleticism and deep range on his jump shot, LaVine’s efficiency and output began to taper off as Pac-12 play began. Throughout the conference season, LaVine struggled to make much of an impact off the bench as a scorer. He ended the season averaging 9.4 points on 44.1 percent shooting and 1.8 assists, good enough to earn a spot on the Pac-12 All-Freshman team.

Primarily a shooting guard at UCLA, LaVine is anticipated to transition to point guard at the NBA level, a position he played at Bothell High School in Bothell, Wash. where he was named Washington’s “Mr. Basketball” after his senior year. While he showed off his speed, leaping and shooting ability at UCLA, LaVine rarely got the opportunity to showcase his point guard skills at the college level, causing many NBA draft analysts predict that, should LaVine reach his considerable potential, it could take several years.

But LaVine should have plenty of time to develop in Minnesota, as the Timberwolves look to still be in rebuilding mode, with power forward Kevin Love seemingly on his way out. Although he may not get significant playing time to start off his career, LaVine’s shooting ability could allow him to carve out an early role as a three-point specialist while he works to improve his ball handling, passing and defense.

6:04 p.m. – Round 1, 14th overall: T.J. Warren, F, NC State – Phoenix Suns  

6:11 p.m. – Round 1, 15th overall: Adreian Payne, F, Michigan State – Atlanta Hawks  

6:20 p.m. – Round 1, 16th overall: Jusuf Nurkić, C, Bosnia and Herzegovina – Chicago Bulls

Nurkić was traded to the Denver Nuggets for Doug McDermott.  

6:26 p.m. – Round 1, 17th overall: James Young, G, Kentucky – Boston Celtics  

6:33 p.m. – Round 1, 18th overall: Tyler Ennis, G, Syracuse – Phoenix Suns

Syracuse point guard Tyler Ennis was selected 18th overall by the Phoenix Suns. Ennis gained national fame for his late game heroics in his freshman year at Syracuse, most notably his game-winning heave from near half court against Pittsburgh. But while he made a name for himself with that score, it’s his ability to help teammates score that got him drafted. Ennis is a crafty, quick point guard who averaged 5.5 assists last season. However he joins a very crowded Phoenix Suns backcourt that also features point guards Goran Dragic and Eric Bledsoe.   – compiled by Kevin Bowman, Bruin Sports senior staff.  

6:36 p.m. – Round 1, 19th overall: Gary Harris, G, Michigan State – Chicago Bulls

After dropping out of the lottery, Gary Harris was finally drafted, selected by the Chicago Bulls 19th overall. Harris will head to the Denver Nuggets as part of the Doug McDermott trade. While a bit on the shorter size for his position, Harris could be a very valuable player for the Nuggets. An good shooter and defender, Harris already has a niche carved out for himself. Measuring in at the draft combine below his originally-listed height of 6-foot-5, Harris could struggle dealing with the size of NBA shooting guards. But there has been some talk amongst draft pundits that Harris could try to transition to point guard in the NBA. – compiled by Kevin Bowman, Bruin Sports, senior staff.  

6:45 p.m. – Round 1, 20th overall: Bruno Cabloco, G, Brazil – Toronto Raptors  

6:52 p.m. – Round 1, 21st overall: Mitch McGary, F, Michigan – Oklahoma City Thunder    

6:59 p.m. – Round 1, 22nd overall: Jordan Adams, G, UCLA – Memphis Grizzlies

Former UCLA guard Jordan Adams was selected by the Memphis Grizzles in the first round as the 22nd overall pick. (Katie Meyers/Daily Bruin senior staff)

Two months after making headlines when he announced he would enter the NBA Draft almost two weeks after announcing he would return to school for a third season at UCLA, Jordan Adams’ change of heart appears to have paid off.   The former UCLA guard was selected by the Memphis Grizzlies with the 22nd overall pick in the first round of the 2014 NBA Draft Thursday night.   With the pick, Adams continues a busy night for former UCLA guards after he became the second Bruin to be drafted. Fellow guard Zach LaVine was chosen by the Minnesota Timberwolves with the 13th overall pick earlier Thursday night.   Adams’ selection is one that some may have not expected two months ago, let alone two years ago, when he was the lowest ranked recruit-62 overall according to Rivals.com-in the Bruins’ much heralded 2012 recruiting class. As a freshman he was overshadowed by that class’ headliner and 2013 14th overall pick Shabazz Muhammad, despite averaging 15.3 points per game and leading the conference in steals with 73.   A year later, it was Anderson-the third overall prospect in the 2012 recruiting class-and LaVine-the Bruins top incoming freshman-who received the majority of draft buzz. For his part Adams improved on virtually every part of his game in his second year, bettering his field goal and three-point percentage, while totaling more rebounds, assists, points and steals than his freshman year.   While Adams lacks the athleticism and potential of LaVine and sheer uniqueness of Anderson, he makes up for it in productivity. The two-year starter averaged 16.4 points per game as a Bruin, including a team-leading 17.4 points per game a year ago in a season that earned him All-Pac honors.   Indeed, Adams heads to Memphis as one of the more natural scorers in the draft. He topped double figures in 56 games and surpassed 20 points 24 times in his collegiate career. Adams also enters the league as one of the better rookie shooters after shooting over 48 percent from the field last season. Adams joins a Memphis backcourt in need of another scoring option opposite point guard Mike Conley   “He’s a scorer, he knows how to use screens hes a very good guard-rebounder, said ESPN college basketball analyst Jay Bilas following Adams’ selection. “He’s a really good finisher around the rim, he’s just one of those guys who knows how to score.”   The Grizzlies also get a competent defender in Adams, who set the UCLA single-season steals record last year. While some have knocked Adams’ athleticism, he does possess good size and quick hands, which allowed him to collect 95 steals a year ago.   – compiled by Jordan Lee, Bruin Sports senior staff.  

7:03 p.m. – Round 1, 23rd overall: Rodney Hood, F, Duke – Utah Jazz

7:07 p.m. – Round 1, 24th overall: Shabazz Napier, G, Duke – Charlotte Hornets

Point guard Shabazz Napier was drafted 24th overall by the Charlotte Hornets but reportedly will be traded to the Miami Heat. Napier was one of the NCAA’s biggest stars during his time at UCONN. His small stature will likely keep him from reaching that same stardom at the NBA level. Despite his size, Napier still excelled as a rebounder from the point guard position, as well as as a scorer. He is a good shooter and defender, and that could be enough for him to carve out a place as a successful role player.

Napier has been traded to the Miami Heat for the 26th pick, the 55th pick and a future second round pick

7:15 p.m. – Round 1, 25th overall: Clint Capela, F, Switzerland – Houston Rockets

7:21 p.m. – Round 1, 26th overall: P.J. Hairston, G, D-Leauge – Miami Heat

Hairston will be traded to the Charlotte Hornets as part of a package for Shabazz Napier.

7:28 p.m. – Round 1, 27th overall: Bogdan Bogdanović, G, Serbia – Phoenix Suns

7:34 p.m. – Round 1, 28th overall: C.J. Wilcox, G, Washington – Los Angeles Clippers

7:40 p.m. – Round 1, 29th overall: Josh Huestis, F, Stanford – Oklahoma City Thunder

7:47 p.m. – Round 1, 30th overall: Kyle Anderson, G/F, UCLA – San Antonio Spurs

Former UCLA guard/forward Kyle Anderson was selected by the X in the first round as the X overall pick. (Brandon Choe/Daily Bruin senior staff)
Former UCLA guard/forward Kyle Anderson was selected by the San Antonio Spurs in the first round as the 30th overall pick. (Brandon Choe/Daily Bruin senior staff)

Kyle Anderson just etched his way into the first round. The San Antonio Spurs grabbed the former Bruin basketball guard/forward with the last pick of the round at No. 30.

Anderson became the third Bruin drafted in the first round Thursday night; former guard Zach LaVine went No. 13 to Minnesota and former guard Jordan Adams went No. 22 to Memphis. It’s the first time UCLA has had three players drafted in the first round since 1979.

Anderson was one of the most polarizing prospects in the draft, his stock ranging anywhere from the tail end of the lottery to the end of the first round. It’s his mismatch in size and skill set that has puzzled many: a point guard’s skill set in a 6-foot-9-inch frame.

This past season, Anderson averaged 6.5 assists per game, along with his 14.8 points per game and 8.8 rebounds per game. In the past ten years, of the 162 NCAA division I college basketball players who averaged 6.0 or more assists per game in a season, Anderson was the only player taller than 6-foot-8-inches.

With San Antonio small forward Boris Diaw entering free agency, Anderson could very well serve as his replacement and slip into the bench rotation next season for the defending NBA Champions.
andersongraph
Scouting Report: Kyle Anderson – How he performed at UCLA, and will his game translate to the NBA?

Strengths:

• He has a tremendous basketball IQ. He carves up opponents with his ability to read defenses and anticipate plays and cuts ahead of time, allowing him to create scoring opportunities for his teammates. Playmaking is Anderson’s natural instinct, and will be his primary asset in the NBA.
  • Length. Length. And more length. He has a 7’2” ¾ inch wingspan, allowing him to shoot over defenses and drive by defenders to get into the lane on offense. On defense, he can alter shots and interrupt passing lanes. He finished third in the Pac-12 in steals last season.
  • Though he’s not a great athlete, he uses his height, length and natural rebounding instincts to be a force on the boards. He led the Pac-12 in defensive rebounds last season, and should continue to rebound well at the next level.

Weaknesses:

• Appropriately nicknamed “Slow Mo” for his slow foot speed, Anderson’s lack of mobility will likely plague him in the NBA. He doesn’t appear quick enough to guard smaller, faster players, and scouts have pegged him as a small forward at the next level. Yet questions remain if he can even guard that position. Is he strong enough? Athletic enough? Perhaps the real question is will Anderson’s offensive talents overshadow his defensive deficiencies enough to see significant court time?
  • Anderson succeeded in college despite a lack of athleticism and explosiveness. As he jumps to the NBA, it remains to be seen how his game will translate against taller, more athletic defenders – something he didn’t have to contend with much at the college level. They’ll likely force him into tougher shots and more forced passes, but expect Anderson to adjust behind his natural basketball instincts.
  • He can be turnover-prone. As strong of a playmaker Anderson is, at times he tries too hard to make plays, forcing passes into the defense. And he has a high, sometimes loose dribble, causing him to be pick pocketed easier than most.

– compiled by Chris Kalra, Bruin Sports senior staff.

End of first round of the 2014 NBA Draft.

Round 2, 31st overall: Damien Inglis, F, France – Milwaukee Bucks

Round 2, 32nd overall: K.J. McDaniels, F, Clemson – Philadelphia 76ers

Round 2, 33rd overall: Joe Harris, G, Virginia – Cleveland Cavaliers

Round 2, 34th overall: Cleanthony Early, F, Wichita State – New York Knicks

Round 2, 35th overall: Jarnell Stokes, F, Tennessee – Utah Jazz

Round 2, 36th overall: Johnny O’Bryant, F, LSU – Milwaukee Bucks

Round 2, 37th overall: DeAndre Daniels Early, F, Connecticut – Toronto Raptors

Round 2, 38th overall: Spencer Dinwiddie, G, Colorado – Detroit Pistons

Round 2, 39th overall: Jeremi Grant, F, Syracuse – Philadelphia 76ers

Round 2, 40th overall: Glenn Robinson III, F, Michigan – Minnesota Timberwolves

Round 2, 41st overall: Nikola Jokic, F, Serbia – Denver Nuggets

Round 2, 42nd overall: Nick Johnson, G, Arizona – Houston Rockets

Round 2, 43rd overall: Walter Tavares, C, Spain – Atlanta Hawks

Round 2, 44th overall: Markel Brown, G, Oklahoma State – Brooklyn Nets (traded from Minnesota Timberwolves)

Round 2, 45th overall: Dwight Powell, F, Stanford – Charlotte Hornets

Round 2, 46th overall: Jordan Clarkson, G, Missouri – Washington Wizards

Round 2, 47th overall: Russ Smith, G, Louisville – Philadelphia 76ers

Round 2, 48th overall: Lamar Patterson, F, Pittsburgh – Milwaukee Bucks

Round 2, 49th overall: Cameron Bairstow, F, Australia – Chicago Bulls

Round 2, 50th overall: Alec Brown, C, Wisconsin, Green Bay – Phoenix Suns

Round 2, 51st overall: Thanasis Antetokounmpo, F, Greece – New York Knicks

Round 2, 52nd overall: Vasilije Micic, G, Serbia – Philadelphia 76ers

Round 2, 53rd overall: Alessandro Gentile, F, Italy – Minnesota Timberwolves

Round 2, 54th overall: Nemanja Dangubic, G, Serbia – Philadelphia 76ers

Round 2, 55th overall: Semaj Christon, G, Xavier – Miami Heat

Round 2, 56th overall: Roy Devyn Marble, F, Iowa – Denver Nuggets

Round 2, 57th overall: Louis Labeyerie, C, France – Indiana Pacers

Round 2, 58th overall: Jordan McRae, G, Tennessee – San Antonio Spurs

Round 2, 59th overall: Xavier Thomas, G, San Diego State – Toronto Raptors

Round 2, 60th overall: Cory Jefferson, F, Baylor – San Antonio Spurs

That concludes the 2014 NBA Draft.

Daily Bruin