Theater & More: ‘An Evening with David Sedaris’

Author David Sedaris returned to Royce Hall Tuesday for “An Evening with David Sedaris,” where he read a mix of published works and diary entries.
(Courtesy of Laurie Rosenwald)

By Natalie Green

“An Evening with David Sedaris” didn’t begin with David Sedaris.

Well, that’s not entirely accurate. David Sedaris returned to the stage at Royce Hall to first introduce Akhil Sharma, the author of “Family Life,” a novel Sedaris is currently promoting.

I tried not to roll my eyes. Much to my own chagrin, Sharma, whose novel was self-proclaimed as an overall sad book, was charming and delightful. He read excerpts from “Family Life,” and the five minutes or so he was onstage flew by, effectively leaving me with a desire to purchase his book.

My regret at Sharma’s departure, however, was quickly forgotten as soon as Sedaris regained the podium. Sedaris began with reading his latest piece for The New Yorker, “Stepping Out,” a personal essay revolving around his most recent obsession: a Fitbit, which keeps track of one’s steps taken per day.

With emphasis, Sedaris’ high-pitched voice paused at all the right moments, inflecting the intonation of the passing characters, be it friends, neighbors or his partner, Hugh Hamrick. He knew when to stop so every word was audible over the laughter.

Sedaris interwove his next two pieces – “Now We Are Five,” a reflection published in The New Yorker on his sister Tiffany’s suicide, and a new story on his beach home, “The Sea Section” – with anecdotes and dirty jokes.

To close the reading, Sedaris selected multiple, brief diary entries from the past couple of years.

Sedaris finished and then called to the stage a young man he had met a year ago at a different reading. Proceeding to introduce the man, Sedaris explained he was a hard worker looking for a job in entertainment law. As strange and uncorrelated as it seemed, I pretended to understand it – this was nothing more than “David being David,” the woman behind me cackled to her friend.

After his job plug, Sedaris had the house lights raised and asked for questions. Soon enough, Sedaris was saying his goodbyes, and the crowd raced to be first in line for his book signing.

Despite the line, students and adults alike camped out on the carpet in silent agreement that Sedaris was worth it.

Over two hours later, “An Evening with David Sedaris” ended as it began, without Sedaris, as audience members walked their separate ways. Many turned back and said they were already looking forward to seeing Sedaris again next year.

– Natalie Green

Natalie Green