Spotlight on LA: Summer Previews

By Brendan Hornbostel

June 9, 2014 12:00 a.m.

Dear reader,

Here at the Daily Bruin, we’re beyond a bruin, just like you. In Arts & Entertainment, we want to write stories for you, about you and because of you. As hard as we try, we haven’t held up that promise to you, our reader, in terms of our neglected online blog, Spotlight. But that’s about to change.

We, your new A&E; editors, want to reinvent Spotlight as a hub for conversational commentary on the latest news in music, film, TV, theater and everything arts and entertainment, as well as featured content on events in the greater Los Angeles area. And we want to start now.

For those of you stuck in summer session or who happen to live nearby, this year’s A&E; editors chose to feature some must-see summer events in Los Angeles to fill your days and nights. Hey, and if you can’t make it, we have your back. Check out A&E;’s blog Spotlight for coverage, commentary and highlights on those events you missed to keep you always entertained.

Sincerely,

Your 2014-2015 A&E; editors (Brendan Hornbostel, Asher Landau, Natalie Green and Gail Acosta).

– – –

LA Film Fest 2014

June 11-19

L.A. Live

Individual tickets and passes available

The 20th anniversary Los Angeles Film Festival, presented by Film Independent, will be a great place to relax post-finals, presenting about 200 features, shorts and music videos from across 40 countries to enjoy.

Highlights of this year’s festival include “LA Muse,” a special section of films dedicated to the city that inspired them: Los Angeles. Whether you’re a film buff looking to catch a glimpse at some highly anticipated screenings or just wanting to relax in a new, interesting way during the first week of summer, LA Film Fest always has something new and exciting behind its screens.

– Brendan Hornbostel

– – –

An Evening with David Sedaris

June 24, 8 p.m.

Royce Hall

$15 for UCLA students

Ever since I pilfered “Me Talk Pretty One Day” from my mom’s bookshelf in eighth grade, David Sedaris has been my favorite contemporary writer. Specializing mainly in short essays, Sedaris was the first author who made me laugh out loud while reading, both in surprise and disgust.

I saw signs around campus that Sedaris was coming this summer and ran to a friend. She quickly reinforced my status as a first-year by condescendingly informing me that he came last year.

Even if you have no interest in pursuing writing, “An Evening with David Sedaris,” which includes a mix of anecdotes and readings, will be sure to delight and appall. Oh, and all in Sedaris’ signature nasally high-pitched tone.

– Natalie Green

– – –

The Original Farmers Market

Summer Music Series

6333 W. 3rd St. Los Angeles 90036

May 29- August 29 (Thursdays and Fridays), 7-9 p.m.

I love farmers markets, even the lame ones with four vendors in my hometown. They might be expensive, but there’s something about walking past stall after stall while sampling organic strawberries, fair-trade coffee and bee-safe honey that makes me feel utterly at peace with the world.

Funny thing is, I’ve actually never been to The Original Farmers Market, and it’s one of the first items on my summer bucket list. Unlike most weekly or biweekly farmers markets, this one is daily and huge. (Hit up its website to check out vendors and hours.) The farmers market community transitions into nightlife all summer every Thursday and Friday evening, featuring local musicians.

– Natalie Green

– – –

Outdoor Movie Screenings in Los Angeles

June-September

Various locations

FREE-$20

The two things I crave for summer is the great weather and the awesome summer movies. Sometimes the two don’t always go well together. Who wants to sit in a dark theater when there’s a warm summer night waiting for you outside? Well, luckily for you between the months of June and September, various venues will be showing outdoor movies for every taste.

If you’re looking to take your significant other out for a romantic night out, try “When Harry Met Sally” on June 21 at Santa Monica High School’s Memorial Greek Amphitheatre, which boasts the largest outdoor screen on the West Coast. If you want to feel like a sophisticated cinephile while still getting frightened, check out Stanley Kubrick’s “The Shining” on July 21 at The Alcove Cafe. However, if you’re wondering where I will be, you can find me watching my childhood favorite, “The Goonies,” at Pearl’s Liquor Bar with a cool IPA. Sounds like perfection.

– Asher Landau

– – –

FYF Fest

August 23-24

L.A. Sports Arena & Exposition Park

$129 for two-day pass

With its relocation from the dusty Los Angeles State Historic Park to the shady, grassy lawns of L.A. Sports Arena &
Exposition Park and satisfying lineup, this year’s FYF Fest is set up to be one of the best.

Headlining bands performing on the Saturday of the festival include alternative-rock bands Phoenix, Interpol and electronic singer-songwriter Grimes. Although FYF Fest lacks genre diversity, the cravings of hip-hop fans may be satisfied with Earl Sweatshirt’s Sunday set.

For any Strokes fan, FYF Fest is a dream come true. Not only will the Strokes play their first show in Los Angeles since 2011 on Sunday, but also band members Julian Casablancas, performing with Julian Casablancas + the Voidz, and Albert Hammond Jr. will perform their own sets on Saturday.

– Gail Acosta

– – –

Budweiser Presents: Made In America Festival

August 30-31

L.A. Grand Park

$200 for two-day pass

Budweiser Presents: Made in America Festival will take place Labor Day weekend at L.A. Grand Park, after two successful years in Philadelphia. If you don’t know what Made in America is, it’s basically a party, curated by Jay Z, with some of the best rap and rock groups around happening to stop by.

Headliners for Saturday and Sunday are alternative pop-rock group Imagine Dragons and pop singer John Mayer, respectively, who will be sure to leave rap fans a little hesitant.

But fear not, the Los Angeles pre-headliners are sure to bring just as much energy as the Kanye-headlined Philadelphia festival, including Saturday performances by Weezer, Sublime With Rome and Cypress Hill, while Sunday will display the young hip-hop talent of Kendrick Lamar, Chance the Rapper and ScHoolBoy Q.

– Brendan Hornbostel

– – –

Neutral Milk Hotel

September 18, 8 p.m.

Hollywood Bowl

$20-$58

Throughout the summer, the likes of artists such as Cat Power, Elvis Costello and Iron & Wine will perform on the Hollywood Bowl stage. But no upcoming concert has brought me more excitement than Neutral Milk Hotel’s show in September – the band’s first show in Los Angeles since reuniting after a 15-year hiatus.

The summer night will be one to celebrate life just as Neutral Milk Hotel did in its second album, “In the Aeroplane Over the Sea.” Jeff Mangum’s lyrics will swirl into the summer air and hit you straight in the heart, and I can’t wait to sing along to them.

Nonetheless, any concert at the Hollywood Bowl could be a wonderful experience – one where you are surrounded by an air of music, the sky, trees and stars.

– Gail Acosta

– – –

Festival Supreme

October 25

L.A. Sports Arena & Exposition Park

$99

How long does summer last? We say it might as well stretch out toward October 25, just in time to count Festival Supreme, curated by comedy rockers Tenacious D, as one of the season’s last festivals.

The comedy and music festival’s lineup packs all the hilarious likes of Margaret Cho, Cheech & Chong, Fred Armisen and Bill Hader, Nick Kroll, Bo Burnham and more into three stages and eight hours of continuous comedy sprinkled with musical accompaniment when needed.

– Brendan Hornbostel

Brendan Hornbostel