University sexual assault policy bill passes Calif. senate

By Kristen Taketa and Jeong Park

A bill that would require all state universities to adopt sexual assault policies that outline a distinct standard for consent passed the state Senate on Thursday.

Under Senate Bill 967, postsecondary institutions that receive state funds for financial aid would have to create prevention programs to address sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence and stalking. They would also be required to create partnerships with community organizations and campus offices to make resources more available to sexual assault victims.

Savannah Badalich, the Undergraduate Students Association Council’s Student Wellness commissioner and leader of the 7000 in Solidarity campaign against sexual assault at UCLA, said she hopes this legislation will move other universities in California to change the code to have a more comprehensive definition of consent.

The University of California changed its sexual assault policy in March to include a specific definition of consent, specific disciplinary sanctions and protection measures for sexual assault cases and increased reporting requirements, among other things.

UCLA is still facing a state audit of its sexual assault policies along with three other universities. UCLA is one of the few major California universities that did not receive a federal Title IX complaint.

Now that the bill has passed the senate, it needs to be approved by the state assembly and Gov. Jerry Brown to become law. The governor has until Sept. 30 to sign bills into law.

Compiled by Kristen Taketa and Jeong Park, Bruin senior staff.

Kristen Taketa
Jeong Park | Alumnus