Movie Review: ‘Maleficent’

(Walt Disney Pictures)

“Maleficent”

Directed by Robert Stromberg
Walt Disney Pictures

By Shelly Maldonado

The classic fairy tale is comprised of very predictable elements: a mystical land with magical creatures, set in a time long ago. We know very well the events that are about to unfold even before we see them.

However, the revisionist, live-action look at the popular cartoon villain, the self-described “Mistress of All Evil” from 1959’s “Sleeping Beauty,” opts for a more complex storyline in Disney’s latest film, “Maleficent.”

Opening to the voice of Janet McTeer, the storybook-themed narration outlines a realm of two rival kingdoms – the world of humans and the outlying Moors, which are home to fairies, trolls and other magical creatures. Flying in the midst of it all is the winged young fairy Maleficent (Isobelle Molloy), who forms an unlikely friendship, and later romance, with a trespassing human named Stefan (Michael Higgins).

As war breaks out between the two kingdoms, the romance between the adult Maleficent (Angelina Jolie) and Stefan (Sharlto Copley) dissipates. Following a significant betrayal by Stefan, Maleficent seeks revenge on his infant daughter, Aurora (Elle Fanning), by casting a spell that will force her into a deep sleep from which she can only be awakened by true love’s kiss.

Employing the help of Diaval (Sam Riley), a raven who Maleficent is able to transform from bird to man and back again at her desire, Maleficent secretly acquires information about Stefan and his kingdom. Thus Maleficent is able to watch over Aurora until her 16th birthday, when the curse will manifest itself, and serves as an unlikely “fairy godmother.”

Similar to what the Broadway musical “Wicked” did for the Wicked Witch of the West from “The Wizard of Oz,” this distinctive play on “Sleeping Beauty” serves to humanize Maleficent by creating an origin story that reveals the circumstances that turned a seemingly warm-hearted fairy into a vengeful villain.

Jolie’s impeccable performance brings this dynamic character to life, and is both restrained and effective but also provides a surprising element of humor when appropriate. Maleficent is larger than life when the story demands it, but Jolie’s grasp on the character is never lost. In this way, she manages to both ground and fully embody this mythical creature.

However, with the exception of Maleficent herself, the film is inhabited by seemingly one-dimensional characters, one of the film’s greatest shortcomings. For instance, the flower pixies – Knotgrass (Imelda Staunton), Thistlewit (Juno Temple) and Flittle (Lesley Manville) – whose sole purpose is to provide clownish humor, is ultimately a disservice to the film as a whole.

Even Aurora is limited to a rather whimsical quality that is sometimes distracting from the purpose of her role, such that in an ending battle between Maleficent and the king, Maleficent’s safety becomes more pressing than Aurora’s.

Thematically, “Maleficent” is successful not only in making a popular cartoon character relatable and humanized, but also in being more complex and less cookie-cutter than other Disney films.

Perhaps the most notable relationship is the one we see develop between Maleficent and Aurora. Through this, the film employs certain feminist themes, as the storyline remains focused on the relationship and dependency between the two women rather than on Aurora and her dependence on a Prince Charming.

Maleficent as a central character, who is both hero and antihero, serves to further convey this theme, demonstrating the complexity that can be found in who is presumed to be the villain regardless of gender.

As for the visual effects, the level of craft offers depth by using conventional storybook settings, serving as an engaging experience without going overboard with CGI.

The most noteworthy visual effect, however, is Jolie’s transformation. With a team led by special makeup effects artist Rick Baker, Jolie employs the use of several prosthetic appliances, including nose, cheeks, teeth and ears as well as contact lenses and a bulky set of horns, in order to bring the character to life. Combined with her staggering performance, Jolie truly becomes Maleficent.

With a combination of thematic complexity, balanced visual effects and an outstanding performance on behalf of Jolie, “Maleficent” succeeds not only in reinventing “Sleeping Beauty,” but also in providing an eloquent play on light and darkness.

– Shelly Maldonado

Shelly Maldonado