7000 in Solidarity chosen for UC President’s Award

By Daily Bruin

The original version of this article contained an error and has been changed. See the bottom of the article for additional information.

University of California officials will recognize UCLA’s 7000 in Solidarity, a campaign against sexual assault, with the 2014 President’s Award for Outstanding Student Leadership on Wednesday.

Established in 2010, the UC Office of the President’s award acknowledges students and organizations that expand the UC’s goals of teaching, research and public service. At a UC regents meeting in Sacramento Wednesday, University officials will award Savannah Badalich, the Undergraduate Students Association Council Student Wellness commissioner, with $2,500 for the campaign’s work.

Each chancellor from the 10 UC campuses reviewed and submitted nominations to the office, and UC President Janet Napolitano selected two recipients – Axana Rodriguez-Torres, an undergraduate student at UC Davis, and UCLA’s Student Wellness Commission’s 7,000 in Solidarity campaign.

The campaign was launched in fall 2013 by Badalich and USAC President John Joanino to educate students and faculty about sexual assault, institutional accountability and support and resources for survivors.

Multiple organizations, including other student government and health and wellness offices on campus, supported the campaign and helped program events for it. The campaign also worked with the UCLA administration and cultural organizations, and was organized by a team of students, Badalich said.

7,000 in Solidarity’s impact has extended beyond UCLA and has been featured on many media sites, including BuzzFeed, the Huffington Post and National Public Radio.

Badalich said she thinks the nomination for the award shows that the UCLA administration believes in campaign members’ work. She said she is most excited about what the award means in terms of future collaboration with UC leaders.

“The same administration that I have spent the last year criticizing nominated me (for the award),” Badalich said.

Badalich added that she hopes the award can encourage other universities to form a similar campaign to expand and increase awareness of sexual consent and bystander awareness.

Compiled by Jessica Doumit, Bruin contributor.

Correction: Badalich will be presented with the President’s Award for Outstanding Student Leadership Wednesday morning.

Daily Bruin