Two men arrested in UCLA hospital stabbings set to appear in court

By Sam Hoff

This post was updated at 4:35 p.m.

Two men arrested Sunday for stabbing on-duty UCLA hospital nurses are set to appear in court for a formal reading of their charges.

Ramiro Carnalla, 26, is being charged with one felony count each of attempted murder and resisting executive officer, and two misdemeanor counts of assault and battery, according to a press release from the Los Angeles District Attorney.

Carnalla allegedly called 911 on his cellphone early Sunday morning from outside the Olive View-UCLA Medical Center, about 20 miles north of UCLA, claiming to have a weapon. Officials said he then entered the hospital, bypassed the weapons screening area, fled from security and police officers and stabbed a nurse several times.

He was arrested just after 2 a.m. The nurse is now in serious but stable condition.

Carnalla’s arraignment was set for Tuesday, but he failed to appear at the San Fernando Courthouse. He is being held on $1,090,000 bail. He is scheduled to appear in court Thursday for his arraignment.

In 2012, Carnalla was convicted of assault by means likely to produce great bodily injury. He was also arrested twice this year and jailed for a month between March and April on an unspecified felony charge, according to the L.A. County Sheriff’s Department.

Thomas Fredette, 38, was arrested later Sunday morning in connection with an unrelated stabbing at the Harbor-UCLA Medical Center in Torrance.

He is being charged with one felony count of assault with a deadly weapon, a spokesman for the Los Angeles District Attorney’s office said.

Fredette allegedly grabbed a nurse from behind and stabbed her in the ear with a sharp object, which officials believe was a pencil they recovered from the scene. The nurse suffered non-life-threatening injuries and received medical treatment.

Fredette’s arraignment was scheduled for 8:30 a.m. Wednesday at the Compton Municipal Court, but he did not attend because was admitted to the Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center about 6:40 a.m., according to the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department.

It is unclear when Fredette will be arraigned.

Compiled by Sam Hoff, Bruin staff.

Sam Hoff | Alumnus