JazzReggae lineup to include Snoop Dogg, Aloe Blacc

By Brendan Hornbostel

The original version of this article contained an error and has been changed. See the bottom of the article for additional information. This article was updated at 5:18 p.m.

The lineup for the 28th Annual JazzReggae Festival at UCLA was announced Monday morning and includes Snoop Dogg, Mavado and Aloe Blacc.

The festival takes place Memorial Day weekend – May 25 and 26 – at the UCLA Intramural Field, with the two days being separated into “Jam Day” on Sunday and “Reggae Day” on Monday.

The lineup for Jam Day consists of Southern California-natives Snoop Dogg and Aloe Blacc, who recently performed at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, while Reggae Day will include Jamaican vocalist Mavado and the Grammy Award-winning reggae group Black Uhuru.

“Having an artist like Snoop Dogg, who is recognized in every household, is really going to boost our ticket sales and bring a really great variety of people,” said Jasmine Pierik, a third-year English student and JazzReggae Festival executive producer. “This is an artist (who), more than previous years, students are really tuned in with the headliner.”

This year’s JazzReggae Festival will also be the last year that the concert takes place on the Intramural Field, said Jessica Trumble, a fourth-year English student and the Undergraduate Students Association Council Cultural Affairs commissioner. This move is a result of UCLA Recreation’s decision to replace the field’s grass with artificial turf, which will be unable to support the weight of the festival’s stages and vendor groups.

“(The festival’s) been in different locations, so we’re excited to experiment with the campus and create a really dynamic (festival) for next year,” Pierik said.

In addition, all student ticketing for this year’s festival will be done online rather than through a physical ticket line, Pierik said.

General admission tickets went on sale Monday at 10 a.m. and include two-day passes as well as single-day tickets. Student tickets for the event, however, will be done by lottery. The student lottery will be available from April 29 at 10 a.m. to May 1 at 11:59 p.m. Lottery winners will be notified about having a ticket for either Jam Day or Reggae Day placed on their BruinCard, and will have the option to purchase a ticket for the other day of the festival for $5.

More information about general ticket sales as well as the UCLA student lottery is available via the JazzReggae website.

Compiled by Brendan Hornbostel, A&E senior staff.

Correction: The JazzReggae Festival takes place Sunday, May 25, and Monday, May 26.

Brendan Hornbostel