Rhema Gardner to medically retire, return as team assistant

By Derrek Li

After fighting through pain in her left knee this past season, UCLA women’s basketball redshirt junior guard/forward Rhema Gardner has decided to medically retire from the sport.

Gardner played in 26 of 31 games this season, averaging 1.8 points and 1.8 rebounds per game. In her last game on the court, Gardner filled out the box score with four points, two rebounds, two assists and one block.

The decision was announced by coach Cori Close on Friday, who also said Gardner will still remain a part of the women’s basketball program next year as an undergraduate assistant.

After undergoing arthroscopic surgery in October 2012 to remove floating cartilage, Gardner redshirted the rest of last season to rehab her left knee.

This season in January, swelling and pain kept her from practicing with the team so that she could play in games.

“I am so thankful for Rhema’s contribution to this program,” Close said in a statement. “The way she has played through extreme pain and still found ways to contribute on the court has been nothing short of heroic.”

Compiled by Derrek Li, Bruin Sports reporter.

Derrek Li | Alumnus
Li joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until he graduated in 2017. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, women's basketball, men's soccer, track and field, cross country and swim and dive beats.