UC supports bill on state loans for undocumented students

State Senator Ricardo Lara presented a bill that would provide loans to undocumented students in California for the first time. University of California President Janet Napolitano was also at the capitol to voice the UC’s support of the bill. (Courtesy of Sacaramento Bee/Paul Kitagaki)

By Benjamin Genta

The University of California came out this week in support of a bill that would allow undocumented students to access student loans for the first time.

UC President Janet Napolitano testified for SB 1210 to the Senate Education Committee on Wednesday. The bill, which was proposed by Senator Ricardo Lara (D-Bell Gardens) would establish a California Dream Loan Program that would provide loans for undocumented students who are exempt from nonresident tuition under AB540.

“These students have worked hard to achieve their dream of a university education, and I believe we should work as hard to ensure they have every chance to succeed,” Napolitano said according to a UC statement.

UC spokeswoman Dianne Klein said the University supports the bill because undocumented students are usually from low-income families or are first-generation college students. About 1,300 of the UC’s 2,000 undocumented students would qualify for the loans.

Undocumented students currently cannot take out a federal or private loan and can only qualify for state scholarships in terms of government aid.

“The funding that they have access to does not cover all expenses,” Klein said. “The UC supports efforts to level the playing field for these students.”

With the proposed loan program, eligible undocumented students would be able to take a State Education Access Loan of up to $4,000 per year, with a $20,000 total cap.

The program would cost over $9 million each year initially and the state would keep making payments until the program is self-sustaining. California colleges and universities would pay a third of the cost, while state funds would cover the rest of the expense.

Undocumented students are disadvantaged compared to other students because they cannot qualify for as much financial support, Lara said in a statement.

“These students do pay taxes and are Californians by every other measure except where they were born,” said Jesse Melgar, a spokesman for Lara’s office.

Melgar said undocumented students have between $4,000 and $6,000 less financial support than other students in similar economic circumstances.

Although undocumented students were Napolitano’s loudest critics when she stepped into office because of her deportation record in her previous role as Secretary of Homeland Security. Since the beginning of her term in office, she has made undocumented student support one of her priorities. In October, she allocated $5 million to programs for undocumented students.

The Senate Education Committee voted 5-0 in favor of approving the measure. It now has to be approved by the Senate Appropriations Committee.

Compiled by Benjamin Genta, Bruin contributor.

Benjamin Genta