2014 Korean Culture Night: “Arirang”

By Brandon Choe

The story centers on the lives of a pair of North Korean siblings, Taewoo and his sister Minji.

(Brandon Choe/Daily Bruin)

Taewoo is repeatedly late for work and severely scolded by his boss.

(Brandon Choe/Daily Bruin)

Early in the story, Minji contracts typhoid fever and requires medication. Taewoo skips a day of work to purchase topical cream for her but receives physical punishment from his father when he arrives home. Here, Taewoo's grandmother pleads him not to leave.

(Brandon Choe/Daily Bruin)

Taewoo befriends a vagabond to make money so he can eventually purchase medicine to treat Minji.

(Brandon Choe/Daily Bruin)

Buchaechum, traditional Korean fan dancing, represents the hope of Taewoo's travels.

(Brandon Choe/Daily Bruin)

Taewoo argues with the vagabond and reports her to a train official. To his surprise, Taewoo is also punished and sent to a labor camp.

(Brandon Choe/Daily Bruin)

A breakdancing routine signifies Taewoo's fearful entrance into a North Korean labor camp.

(Brandon Choe/Daily Bruin)

A performer plays the jjanggu, a Korean bell-shaped drum played with two drumsticks.

(Brandon Choe/Daily Bruin)

A wise old man in the labor camp changes Taewoo's perspective on life.

(Brandon Choe/Daily Bruin)

Minji's scornful aunt berates Taewoo's father for the failures of his family.

(Brandon Choe/Daily Bruin)

Taewoo returns from the labor camp to find Minji's condition worsening and his grandmother dying.

(Brandon Choe/Daily Bruin)

Taewoo's resilience and hope for the future was represented in a dance by KCN Modern.

(Brandon Choe/Daily Bruin)

Sangmo ribbon-hat dancing punctuated the play, representing the hope and redemption of the Korean people.

(Brandon Choe/Daily Bruin)

When Taewoo leaves for China to retrieve medicine, Minji manages to catch him in the act and convinces him to allow her to come along. Unfortunately, Minji hallucinates that other strangers are members of her family. She is soon lost and is not found.

(Brandon Choe/Daily Bruin)

The night ended with an ensemble namesake performance of "Arirang," the famous Korean folk song.

(Brandon Choe/Daily Bruin)

Brandon Choe