Newly added arts-themed floor draws student interest

By Julia Raven

Students with a passion for the arts may soon find their niche on the Hill’s newest themed floor.

After a submission and selection process, the UCLA Office of Residential Life chose the visual and performing arts collective to be the latest addition to the Hill’s themed floors for the 2014-2015 academic year.

Themed floors are specific floors in UCLA’s residential buildings that are designed to attract a group of students with shared interests. There are six themed floors already, including an Afrikan diaspora studies floor and a sustainable living floor.

Quinn Miller, a second-year communication studies student, submitted the idea for the floor as part of an Office of Residential Life contest looking for student-initiated themed floors.

The floor will be open to all students, but is designed for those with passions in the arts.

Miller, who used to study dance at UCLA, said the idea for the floor came from her desire to meet and connect with more people who are passionate about the arts. As a dancer, she is also looking forward to the opportunity to share her work with other students who have similar interests.

ORL selected the visual and performing arts collective floor because it demonstrated the highest level of student interest, said Zan Tansey, the resident director of Rieber Hall. The two other front-runners in the contest were an engineering floor and a leadership floor.

Several students have already voiced their interest in living on the floor next year.

David Miller Prieto, a first-year microbiology, immunology and molecular genetics student, said he is a guitarist and wants to live on the themed floor because he likes collaborating with other artists.

As someone who isn’t an art student but is passionate about the subject, he said it is hard for him to meet other artists.

The floor is designed to be an environment for expression for any students that have personal passions in or out of their area of study, Tansey said.

Another student who hopes to live on the floor next year is Eva Barrosse, a first-year history student who sings and writes songs.

“You get so close to the people on your floor; it would be great if those people were musically or artistically inclined,” Barrosse said.

The Office of Residential Life has brainstormed some plans and activities for the new themed floor, such as opportunities to explore art in Los Angeles, Tansey said.

Miller said she wants to provide an open mic night for students once a month to let them showcase their work.

The floor will be in Sproul Landing and will not cost anything more than a regular residential hall, Tansey said. Students can sign up to live on the floor on their housing applications.

Julia Raven