Saturday, February 24

UCPD arrests man in connection with thefts at UCLA

Victor Lee, 26, was arrested Thursday morning in connection with several cell phone and wallet thefts at UCLA Recreation facilities.

Victor Lee, 26, was arrested Thursday morning in connection with several cell phone and wallet thefts at UCLA Recreation facilities. UCPD

University police arrested a 26-year-old man early Thursday morning in connection with several cell phone thefts from UCLA’s Intramural Field, John Wooden Center and Drake Stadium.

Victor Lee was arrested at the JJ Grand Hotel in Koreatown on charges of burglary, grand theft and theft by use of access card, said UCPD Lieutenant Mark Littlestone. Lee is not affiliated with UCLA.

Lee is accused of stealing cellphones and other property from the field while students played soccer and rugby, Littlestone said. Lee matches the description and photographs of a suspect who used credit cards stolen from the Wooden Center and Intramural Field several months ago.

The thefts date back to the beginning of fall quarter, Littlestone added. He said most of the stolen property was returned to victims Thursday.

In the Wooden Center, most recent thefts have been of wallets and phones, Rich Mylin, associate director of facility and event operations for UCLA Recreation, told the Daily Bruin in November.

UCPD was notified by the Los Angeles Police Department that the man they were looking for could be in Koreatown, Littlestone said.

University police are investigating Lee for other crimes. Anyone with information regarding this case or Lee can call UCPD at (310) 825-9371.

Lee is being held at the Los Angeles County Men’s Central Jail, with his bail set at $80,000. He is due to appear in court on Monday.

Compiled by Sam Hoff, Bruin reporter.

• FormerBruin

Dig a little deeper Daily Bruin. It was two UCLA undergrads (two of the thief’s final targets on the IM Field on Wednesday evening) who took it upon themselves to track down this thief at the JJ Grand Hotel in Koreatown using their Find iPhone App. Once they had located their stolen phones/wallets at the hotel THEY notified LAPD who, in turn, contacted UCPD with the information.

• Lou

This piece of crap stole over $2k from me at my house and I haven’t been able to find him!! Karma is a Bit$&!!! So glad to see this!