‘American Idol’ returns to UCLA’s Royce Hall for premiere

Audience members lined up outside Royce Hall Tuesday afternoon to gain entrance to the “American Idol XIII” season premiere screening.

Want more American Idol? Video: spectators wait for a chance to see the premiere Q&A: with Seacrest, the judges and spectators

By Kelsey Rocha

For the second year in a row, Royce Hall donned the vibrant blue of the long-standing, popular reality television show “American Idol.”

The blue carpet event featured an early screening of the first episode of “American Idol XIII” airing tonight at 8 p.m. on FOX. The screening was then followed by a half-hour Q&A; session with host Ryan Seacrest and judges Jennifer Lopez, Keith Urban and Harry Connick Jr.

Eager fans assembled outside Royce Hall as early as 6 a.m. to score seats as close to the stage as possible, hoping to catch an up-close look at their favorite celebrities.

Fans Myra Vargas and Ruby Gutierrez, who were first in line for the event, camped out in lawn chairs early in the morning.

“We’re here for Jennifer Lopez. We’re just really happy she’s back on the show,” said Vargas, a resident of Whittier, Calif.

First-year human biology and society student Janina Lamoglia and first-year undeclared student Christine Holland said they were also drawn to the chance of meeting Lopez after their resident assistant had told them about the event.

“I loved the show with Randy (Jackson) and Simon (Cowell), but I’m excited to see this season with Jennifer Lopez. I love her,” Holland said. “I have never been inside Royce Hall before because I’m a freshman, so it’s going to be really cool to see a big event like this for my first time.”

Lamoglia agreed, adding that she thinks UCLA’s access to high-profile events sets it apart from other colleges.

“It’s so awesome how we can access (these events) so easily from the dorms because it’s just right on campus. Not a lot of people in their schools have big Hollywood events going on,” Lamoglia said. “(It’s) an added perk of being a UCLA Bruin.”

[Watch: “American Idol comes to UCLA”]

The crowd, composed of past contestants, long-time fans, current competitors, first-time watchers and everyone in between, waited in anticipation, stretching around Dickson Court.

Shortly after 3 p.m., the doors to Royce Hall opened and the fans were welcomed by ushers and hushed blue lights lining the walls. As the lights dimmed over the concert hall, the audience greeted the opening of the newest season with a wave of cheers.

Bursts of laughter and applause punctuated the interactions of the judges, making the show come to life as if the previously recorded auditions were happening live on stage.

Among the audience members was 18-year-old Kristina Corbett, who auditioned for this season and came to see if she made it into the first episode. Corbett said she couldn’t reveal how far she made it into the competition, but she noted that the judges’ chemistry really sets this season apart from past seasons.

I feel like (the judges) were very nice. They were supportive and they wanted to see you do well. I mean, Harry Connick Jr., who’s never been on before, is hilarious,” Corbett said. “It’s just a really good vibe.”

Following the conclusion of the two-hour show, judges Lopez, Urban and Connick Jr. arrived on stage with Seacrest to roaring applause.

The judges bantered and exchanged their thoughts on each contestant, each bringing their experiences and personalities to the stage. While Lopez played with a sweeter sense of humor, Connick Jr. brought a quirky, bluntness, creating a light-hearted back-and-forth dialogue throughout the show.

As fans watched the first episode in the concert hall, the west wing of Royce Hall was teeming with excitement as past “Idol” contestants such as newlyweds Diana Degarmo (Season 3) and Ace Young (Season 5) walked down the carpet.

“I couldn’t get (Diana Degarmo) to stop looking at the buildings, because it’s gorgeous here. And the thing I love about UCLA is that it’s very entertainment-oriented,” Young said. “A lot of colleges try to get you into the entertainment industry, but until you’re here, you’re kind of a dove in a pack.”

Following the conclusion of the event, fans left starstruck and with positive reactions to the new season. Former UCLA employee Lo Whittiker-Silvers and Fawyn Y. Gathright said they were surprised by and loved the new direction of the show.

“The past season … made me want to stop watching, but this season with the new judges is great. I will definitely be watching Season 13,” Gathright said. “The questions, Q&A; and the atmosphere really made this a fun experience.”

For more American Idol, check out a video of the crowd lined up for the show and a photo gallery from the red carpet.

Kelsey Rocha