USAC allocates half of surplus to fund councilmember initiatives

Undergraduate Students Association Council Internal Vice President Avi Oved and USAC Student Wellness Commissioner Savannah Badalich request surplus funds to finance a UCLA safety app.

By Jasmine Aquino

At its meeting Tuesday night, the undergraduate student government allocated about half of its remaining $152,000 surplus funds to finance council member initiatives.

Councilmembers distributed about $78,500, leaving about $73,500 for some Undergraduate Students Association Council funding resources meant to support student groups.

Funding for some student group resources will be cut by more than 30 percent because of the council’s allocations, said Cynthia Jasso, USAC Finance Committee chair.

The surplus amount is money carried over from one year’s council to the next and is calculated every November. Last year’s surplus was about $384,000.

The previous council created an endowment with $100,000 of its surplus, partially decreasing this year’s surplus. USAC established the endowment with the UCLA Foundation and receives 5 percent of the endowment back for USAC program funds each year.

The council approved, at least in part, all four of the following surplus request proposals after asking for more time during the last USAC meeting of fall quarter.

The surplus funds are set to go toward the University Students Association Programming Fund, the Capital Contingency Fund and the Contingency Fund, following a specific formula laid out in the USAC bylaws.

Jasso said she thinks USAC needs to look for ways to find sustainable funding, instead of relying on surplus.

UCLA safety application

Internal Vice President Avi Oved and Student Wellness Commissioner Savannah Badalich

Initial request: $25,000

Funds received: $15,500

USAC allocated funds for the development of a safety app specific to UCLA with a 10-0-2 vote with abstained votes from Oved and Badalich. The app requires a one-time fee of $20,000 to customize it for the UCLA community, Oved said. The other $5,000 initially requested was meant to cover data collection costs.

At the meeting, councilmembers discussed how successful the app would be and the administration’s role in the app’s development and promotion.

Jack Benny and Spencer Tracy Awards

Campus Events Commissioner Jessica Kim

Initial request: $7,000

Funds received: $4,000

USAC allocated funds for an event that hosts accomplished dramatic actors or comedians as guest speakers with a 11-0-1 vote. Kim said she would decrease her original request because she wanted to save money for funds supported by leftover surplus.

United States Student Association registration fees

External Vice President Maryssa Hall

Initial request: $14,000

Funds received: $14,000

USAC allocated funds to cover registration fees for the United States Student Association, an organization that advocates on behalf of students. The money is set to cover the cost of membership fees, allowing select UCLA students to attend the workshops offered by the United States Student Association. The funding was approved with a 11-0-1 vote.

The 28th annual UCLA Jazz Reggae Festival

Cultural Affairs Commissioner Jessica Trumble

Initial request: $45,000

Funds received: $40,000

In a 11-0-1 vote, USAC allocated funds for the Jazz Reggae Festival, the largest student-run music festival in the nation that is held at UCLA in the spring. The event requires $500,000 to run, but USAC will be listed as a major sponsor. The festival typically receives about $50,000 in surplus funds.

Compiled by Jasmine Aquino, Bruin contributor.

Jasmine Aquino | Alumnus
Jasmine Aquino was an assistant Opinion editor in the 2016-2017 year. Previously, she was an Opinion and News contributor.