UCLA student who opened for OCHC’s Bruin Laughs! pursues love of comedy

First-year bioengineering student Nathan Mosher performed his stand-up comedy last week for On-Campus Housing Council’s Bruin Laughs!

By Alicia Sontag

A year and a half ago, Nathan Mosher, currently a first-year bioengineering student, was interning in a high school surgical program and working toward the goal of one day becoming a professional surgeon.

An orthopedic surgeon pulled Mosher aside and gave him the advice to consider pursuing other passions that he may have, so that he would not get caught up in a field that he does not find fulfilling. Mosher, who was beginning to write jokes and stories at the time of the internship, then realized his love for comedy.

“A month after the surgeon told me to reconsider medical school, I began doing stand-up (comedy) every week at open mic shows, and liked it,” Mosher said. “I was interested in becoming serious about it.”

For the last year and a half, Mosher has written comedy acts and performed at open mic shows in Culver City. Since coming to UCLA, Mosher is actively studying stand-up comedy by performing in order to pursue a career as an entertainer.

He has also joined comedy clubs, including Stand-Up At UCLA and Shenanigans Comedy Club at UCLA, as well as begun writing for Satyr Magazine, a UCLA comedy publication.

Mosher has performed at Westwood’s The Improv Space and Mi Westside Comedy Theater. First-year economics student Chris Valenzuela said Mosher is determined to get as much experience as possible while networking with other comedians, and is willing to travel to farther venues.

“Nathan takes comedy seriously, and when he goes (onstage) … he will really analyze how he did, and go over and figure out what works and doesn’t work,” Valenzuela said. “He is always welcome to audience feedback.”

Mosher said he draws inspiration from comedians Demetri Martin and Mitch Hedberg, as well as his friends. He prefers one-liners in stand-up comedy, but is also trying to get into writing stories and long form jokes. Although interested in learning as much about different genres as possible, such as prop comedy, Mosher said he enjoys witty humor the most.

Second-year global studies student and an editor of Satyr Magazine Aliya Kamalovaok, said that Mosher is proactive and stood out among the applicants Satyr Magazine received.

“We really liked that he was involved with different aspects of comedy, like stand-up and writing,” Kamalova said. “Satire is a huge aspect of his comedy – he has a very intelligent humor.”

Kamalova said that Mosher’s love and passion for comedy is evident in his willingness to participate at meetings.

“We have pitch meetings at the Satyr, and (Mosher) always contributes ideas,” Kamalova said. “His style is very upfront and (when he) submits something, you just know it is going to be very blunt.”

Mosher’s most recent performance was Bruin Laughs!, put on by OCHC on Nov. 20 in De Neve, where student comedians performed routines for the students who live on the Hill. OCHC asked Mosher to open the show and introduce the other comedians.

“Offstage, Nathan seems pretty quiet, normal and humble, but he’s been doing comedy for several months, and he already has a confident persona onstage,” Valenzuela said.

Kamalova said that the audience received Mosher’s performance very well, and that he tied together all of the comedy acts of Bruin Laughs! so the entire performance flowed seamlessly.

“His stage personality is similar to his everyday personality in the fact that he’s not overly energetic; he is quieter, and his deliveries are similar to deadpan comedy, but not as over-the-top,” Kamalova said. “The way he performs is more subtle, which makes his jokes funnier.”

Mosher said he finds comedy to be a crucial and enjoyable part of his life, even while meeting the rigorous demands of bioengineering. Mosher said he loves comedy because of its effects on others.

“The best thing about watching comedy is that … no matter how hard you try not to laugh, it makes you laugh, turning that willingness and desire to be sad into happiness,” Mosher said. “It creates stress because I’m not doing what I should be doing, which is studying, but standing up there is the greatest feeling in the world.”

Alicia Sontag