UC reaches collective bargaining agreements with nurses, librarians

By Daily Bruin

The original version of this article contained an error and has been changed. See the bottom of the article for additional information.

Two University of California worker unions representing nurses and librarians have recently reached collective bargaining agreements with the University, UC officials announced this week.

The California Nurses Association, which represents more than 11,700 nurses in the UC, agreed on a tentative four-year contract with the University that includes 4-percent across-the-board wage increases and step increases for each year of the contract.

The agreement also prohibits nurses from going on strike for the duration of the contract.

“We are pleased to have reached an agreement with (the California Nurses Association) that maintains competitive market wages and benefits for our hard-working nurses and recognizes the excellent patient care they provide every day at our medical centers and student health centers,” said Dwaine Duckett, UC vice president for systemwide human resources, in a University statement.

Nurses will pay higher rates of their pay for their pension benefits than other UC employees: 8 percent starting in 2014 and 9 percent starting in July 2014.

The agreement is still subject to approval by members of the union.

UC officials also announced Friday a five-year contract with the American Federation of Teachers – which represents the UC’s 350 librarians – after about 18 months of negotiations.

The contract includes wage adjustments that average 2.7 percent and allows the University more flexibility in setting more competitive salaries.

Other unions have yet to decide on agreements with the University. The American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees 3299 union and the UC Student Worker-Union UAW Local 2865 are set to go on strike Wednesday to protest alleged unfair labor practices by the University.

Compiled by Kristen Taketa, Bruin senior staff.

Correction: The UC Student Worker-Union UAW Local 2865 will go on strike Wednesday.

Daily Bruin