More than 30 thefts from UCLA recreation areas since September

By Sam Hoff

University police are investigating more than 30 thefts in the John Wooden Center and nearby recreational areas in the past two months.

Since Sept. 1, there have been 20 thefts reported in the Wooden Center, 12 thefts reported on the Intramural Field and four in Drake Stadium, said Nancy Greenstein, a spokeswoman for UCPD.

In total, the stolen property is worth more than $24,000, Greenstein said.

One man so far has been identified as a person of interest in connection with a theft in the Wooden Center, but no arrests have been made at this point, said UCPD Lieutenant Mark Littlestone.

Mostly wallets and cell phones have been stolen in the Wooden Center, said Rich Mylin, associate director of facility and event operations for UCLA Recreation. He said thieves usually target several students’ belongings in a short period of time.

Emma Wisdom, a third-year film student and former Daily Bruin Arts & Entertainment contributor, was leaving for Yosemite National Park on Friday to lead an outdoor adventure tour when her phone and backpack were stolen.

Wisdom said she left her phone and backpack in the back of the Wooden Center, and thought at first that somebody put them in a tour van.

Her backpack was returned by parents who found it in the back of their truck after UCLA Parents’ Weekend, but it was missing her laptop and Nikon camera.

Mylin said most of the thefts began around week two of fall quarter. He said a high percentage of the thefts have taken place in the Wooden Center’s Collins Court, because students tend to leave bags unattended on the side of the court.

Omar Sheikh, an engineering lab researcher, was taking a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu class in the Blue Room, an exercise classroom on the second floor, when his phone was stolen.

He said he left his iPhone 5 in an open bag at the side of the room because he knew and trusted the other members of his class.

Sheikh said he realized it was stolen after another student reported his own phone missing. He tried to call his phone and trace it using the Find My iPhone app, but it was turned off.

Sheikh recently purchased another iPhone for $200 to replace the stolen one.

Mylin said he recommends students use the dime and quarter lockers in the Wooden Center to store their belongings, or that they keep their belongings close to them.

“All of these thefts are preventable,” Littlestone said. “Watch your belongings, secure your belongings or lock them up … (do) anything other than leaving them unattended.”

Anyone with information about these incidents or similar incidents can call UCPD at (310) 825-9371.

Sam Hoff | Alumnus