UCLA cross country shines at Titan Invitational

By Michelle Epps

The UCLA men’s cross country team finished third in its 8-kilometer race while the women’s team took first in its 5-kilometer race last Friday in the Titan Invitational, held in Fullerton.

This meet was the last opportunity for the Bruins to race before the Pac-12 Championships as well as some of the members’ last chance to race this season. Several redshirt players and younger players got in on the competition and proved themselves successful.

Freshman Myles Smith ran unattached and finished fourth overall. This was his third meet of the season and he said that although he was nervous, he was mainly excited to be racing.

“I was really happy with how I performed. It’s the last race of the season for me, but I’m really excited for my team and I know they can do well this weekend at Pac-12s,” Smith said.

Another underclassman who stepped up for the Bruins was sophomore Jen Owen, who finished third overall for the women with a time of 17:34.3. For Owen, this meet was a time for the pre-med, political science student to take a break from studying for midterms to do something she loves.

“This race served as an outlet for me studying for midterms. You get to calm down, breathe, relax and go for a nice run,” Owen said.

Owen said she doesn’t know if she will be competing this upcoming weekend at the Pac-12 Championships but said that she thinks her team has the tools to be successful.

“I think this team can definitely make it to NCAAs. Everyone is determined and every girl on this team believes that we can do it,” Owen said.

Owen attributes this season’s success thus far to an improved team dynamic from last year. Last year, the women’s team had two coaches and middle-distance runners practiced separately from long-distance runners.

Now, with one coach and a consolidated practice schedule, the team members know each other much better and have developed a team chemistry that motivates them during races.

“It’s really hard running on your own, but with a teammate, they can push you. During a race, you are not feeling great, so it’s nice not to be alone in fact better when you are with someone you care about,” Owen said.

The next step for the Bruins will be this weekend’s Pac-12 competition, something they have been working toward all season long.

“It’s now the point of the season that really matters,” said coach Forest Braden. “Every time you hit the postseason you become a little more focused and have a lot more energy. We have an experienced team that is ready to work,” Braden said.

Michelle Epps