Throwback Thursday: Remembering Bridget O’Brien

By Daily Bruin

Bridget O'Brien was a Daily Bruin alumna whose dedication to journalism continues to inspire student journalists at UCLA.

(Courtesy of Mari and Kevin O'Brien/Daily Bruin)

Guests at the Lederman-Novak wedding hide outside the reception hall in Malibu and celebrate the Los Angeles Lakers' victory over the New Jersey Nets in game three of the NBA Finals. (June 9, 2002)

(Bridget O'Brien/Daily Bruin)

This photo was a part of the Daily Bruin's arts and entertainment feature "Student Body Politics," which addressed issues of pornography and other sex-related jobs of college students. (May 18, 2003)

(Bridget O'Brien/Daily Bruin)

Michelle Frias (left), a first-year student from UCSB, makes her voice heard outside the UC Regents meeting at UCSF. (May 16, 2001)

(Bridget O'Brien/Daily Bruin)

UCLA defensive end Mat Ball sacks Oregon State's Jonathan Smith in the third quarter of the Bruins' 38-7 victory in Corvallis. (Oct. 1, 2003)

(Bridget O'Brien/Daily Bruin)

Bridget O'Brien lived in her car for a quarter to save money for the well-known story on fair-trade coffee from Nicaragua that launched her journalism career.

Nicaraguan fair-trade farmer Segundo Membreno cranks the wheel of his depulper, which removes the red shells from coffee beans, as his son, Tony, looks on. (March 15, 2004)

(Bridget O'Brien/Daily Bruin)

Juana Torres is a member of a fair-trade women's coffee cooperative in Nicaragua. The fuel-efficient stove in her kitchen was built through a project funded by the cooperative. (March 15, 2004)

(Bridget O'Brien/Daily Bruin)

Daily Bruin