Hillel’s Persian community offers chai, chats to up visibility

By Jennifer Crane

The UCLA Persian Community at Hillel will hold their second annual “Chai & Chat” event Wednesday to increase visibility of the Persian Jewish community.

Group members will teach the group about the Persian community while serving Persian tea, pastries and hookah, said fourth-year neuroscience student and co-president of the student group, Alon Kashanian.

The Persian Community at Hillel is a student organization devoted to connecting Persian Jewish students with resources on campus and increasing the presence of Persian Jewish undergraduate students at UCLA, Kashanian said. About 120 students participated in the event last year, he said.

In addition to promoting their organization, the Persian Community at Hillel hopes to reach out to Persian Jewish transfer students who want to participate in campus events.

“We want to show Persian transfers the benefit to joining the club and how important it is to get involved,” Kashanian said.

Members of the Persian Community at Hillel attend events that address Iranian-related issues, Kashanian said.

Last Tuesday, students in the group attended a reception with Tony Mendez, a former CIA agent who rescued American diplomats during the Iran Hostage Crisis, as portrayed in the movie Argo.The Persian Community at Hillel hopes to attend more events in the future, Kashanian said.

To learn more about the club, students can attend Chai & Chat, Kashanian said.

The event will be held Wednesday at 6 p.m. at 574 Hilgard Ave.

Compiled by Jennifer Crane, Bruin senior staff.

Jennifer Crane