Westwood Urban Outfitters announces plans for expansion

By Sam Hoff

Urban Outfitters recently announced plans to relocate and expand its Westwood location to create its third-largest store in California.

Construction on the new storefront will begin in April and open in late 2014, said Rick Chancellor, western region vice
president for The McDevitt Company
.

Urban Outfitters, a chain clothing store currently located on the corner of Kinross Avenue and Westwood Boulevard, will relocate to two adjacent two-storybuildings on Westwood Boulevard, Chancellor said.

The buildings have both been vacant since 2003, said Steve Sann, chairman of the Westwood Community Council.

“For the past few years, we’ve been talking to Urban Outfitters on and off,” said Jim Brooks, president of the Topa Management Company, which owns the property. “Their current location is about 8,000 squarefeet in size, so they’re looking to double their commitment in Westwood.”

Brooks said he anticipates the new store will draw customers to Westwood and attract businesses to fill other vacant stores nearby.

Andrew Thomas, executive director of the Westwood Business Improvement District, said business owners nearby are excited to see the announcement.

There are currently many empty storefronts in Westwood, but Thomas said many more businesses have expressed interest in moving to Westwood Boulevard recently because the area is cleaner and safer now than when the buildings first became vacant.

“This is a giant vote of confidence in Westwood Village by Urban Outfitters,” Sann said. “What this will do is cause other retailers, other apparel companies … to take a look at Westwood.”

Contributing reports by Yael Levin, Bruin senior staff.

Sam Hoff | Alumnus