Bruin Bash offers hip-hop concert, sneak peek of Don Jon

Last year’s Bruin Bash featured Panamanian hip hop duo Las Rakas, indie rock band Ra Ra Riot and hip-hop duo Chiddy Bang.

By Brendan Hornbostel

New York band Ra Ra Riot opened for headliner Chiddy Bang at last year's Bruin Bash.
New York band Ra Ra Riot opened for headliner Chiddy Bang at last year’s Bruin Bash.
While last year’s performance featured Panamanian hip-hop duo Las Rakas, indie rock band Ra Ra Riot and hip hop duo Chiddy Bang, Bruin Bash 2013’s lineup is taking a strictly hip-hop feel.

In the past, Bruin Bash lineups encompassed a greater range of genres and styles than tonight’s hip-hop only bill. The formula of using a hip-hop act (i.e. Chiddy Bang, LMFAO and T.I.) coupled with an indie band (Ra Ra Riot, Hellogoodbye and Rooney) seemed to play to all music lovers, and non hip-hop audiences may be disappointed by the homogeneity of this year’s lineup.

Despite a narrow lineup, Bruin Bash 2013 remains the hot opening week ticket for students, from the Bruin Bash dance, featuring student DJs DJ SARS (Jeffrey Hsiao) and Bentley Montes, to the this year’s Bruin Bash film Don Jon.

Last year's Bruin Bash featured Panamanian hip-hop artists Los Rakas, indie rock band Ra Ra Riot and hip-hop duo Chiddy Bang, catering to a diverse crowd. In contrast, this year's Bruin Bash is taking a hip-hop tone.
Last year’s Bruin Bash featured Panamanian hip-hop artists Los Rakas, indie rock band Ra Ra Riot and hip-hop duo Chiddy Bang, catering to a diverse crowd. In contrast, this year’s Bruin Bash is taking a hip-hop tone.
Tyga

Tyga grew up in the West Coast hip-hop scene. After his independent debut release gained fame, Tyga was signed to Young Money Entertainment, where his major label debut “Careless World: Rise of the Last King” was received with commercial and critical acclaim. Singles off the album, including “Rack City” and “Faded,” helped propel Tyga’s music into the mainstream.

Tyga’s West Coast rapping style, often focused on the controversial topic of drugs, was displayed further in 2013’s “Hotel California.” The album revolved around samplings of the 1990s West Coast rap scene, as evidenced on “Dope,” which samples Dr. Dre’s “Deep Cover.” The album also contains singles “For the Road” and “Molly.”

E-40

E-40 made his rap career by representing the Bay Area since the early 1990s. E-40’s 1995 release “In a Major Way” brought the Vallejo, Calif. rapper into the mainstream, where his animated rapping style and vibrant hooks caught the ears of a large audience. After his 2006 song “Tell Me When To Go,” produced by Lil Jon became a club favorite, E-40 came to be recognized as the face of the Bay Area’s “hyphy” movement, stressing the hyperactive rap music of the Bay Area.

In recent years, E-40 has continued to expand his discography, releasing “The Block Brochure” trilogy in 2012, which featured rappers 2 Chainz and Juicy J, among others. While E-40’s latest releases have had less commercial stay, they continue to be received well by critics.

Event details

Bruin Bash concert doors will open tonight at 6:30 p.m., and the show begins at 8 p.m. After the show, the floor of Pauley Pavilion will open at 11 p.m. for the Bruin Bash dance. Wristbands for the Bruin Bash concert will be distributed at 10 a.m. in Bruin Plaza to all students, and in De Neve Plaza and Hedrick Summit to Hill residents only.

This year’s Bruin Bash film, a sneak peek of Don Jon, starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Scarlett Johansson, will be shown in Ackerman Grand Ballroom at 11 p.m. Wristbands for the film will be distributed on Bruin Walk beginning at 8 p.m.

Brendan Hornbostel