Listen: Tyga, E-40 to fire up Bruin Bash 2013

By Tristan Walczak

California rappers Tyga and E-40 are performing at Bruin Bash this year. Listen to Daily Bruin Radio reporter Tristan Walczak’s take on the artists and why he thinks that Bruin Bash 2013 has the potential to be a success.

TRANSCRIPT:

WALCZAK: Bay Area indeed. As Westwood awakens from its summer slumber and droves of eager college students drive down the 405 in order to get back to school, these two words will usher in the madness. As per usual, this year will start with a giant social gathering, as Bruin Bash 2013 brings the Bay to L.A. with a lineup of E-40 and Tyga. Heavyweight rap mogul E-40 will be headlining the digs while L.A. native and Young Money Entertainment rapper Tyga will hold down the back end. After last year’s meager lineup of Chiddy Bang, Ra Ra Riot, and Los Rakas delivered a bland performance and left the crowd slightly disappointed, this year’s show should have Bruins walking back to Landfair more “turnt up” than when they left.

Anybody who has ever stepped foot in a college town has probably heard this young Compton-born rapper’s “intellectual” hit “Rack City,” but few would know that this oddly named star got his start rapping about fruity liquids. The song “Coconut Juice” off of his debut album “No Introduction” under the Decaydance Records label garnered Tyga sizable popularity. The album itself, however, was an a freshman try towards stardom.

Luckily for Tyga, his growing popularity gained producer and superstar Lil Wayne’s attention. After signing onto Wayne’s Cash Money Records and Young Money Entertainment, the soon-to-be superstar released “Careless World: Rise of the Last King.” This music followed the year’s trend by delivering poppy jams and catchy hooks. The album became a party banger favorite and resulted in songs like this…

What does Tyga’s spot on the Bruin Bash 2013 lineup mean for the show? It means that things will get pretty wild. With the number of party hits that this dude produces, how could it not? Tyga’s set will get things rolling, but it will only be a warm-up for the heat that E-40 will without a doubt bring.

Bruin Bash 2013 will be a big night for Bay Area Bruins, who will be out in full force to get hyphy and support one of their most beloved hometown rappers, E-40. E-40 came into popularity during the 90s rap movement. With the 1995 release of his first solo album, “In A Major Way,”  the world found an E-40 with an unusual flow, and big time collaborations with hip-hop all-timers like 2Pac. He brought alternative and absurd linguistic stylings in his verses, and heavy production with snarey flares and deep, basey beats.

Since “In a Major Way,” E-40 released numerous albums and has helped start one of the region’s most recognized cultural anomalies, known as the “hyphy movement.”

He has been a major proponent of the underground rap movement and helped shape the slang of the region by utilizing words like “guap” and “18 dummy” in his music. E-40’s “hyphy movement” single “Tell Me When to Go” from the 2006 album “My Ghetto Report Card” is arguably one of the most popular hip-hop hits of the early 21st century.

E-40’s shows often turn into a performer-crowd unified effort to get as wild as possible, where attendees jump on stage and E-40 does the opposite. This could very well be the hyphiest Bruin Bash to ever occur in UCLA history. It is likely that some major guest appearances like Too $hort and Iamsu! will occur during this set, and E-40 and Tyga may even join forces to perform their new single, “Slide Through”.

Hopefully E-40 and Tyga can provide the ridiculous chart-topping songs that allow people to lose some of their inhibitions and just get funky on the dance floor. For Daily Bruin Radio, I’m Tristan Walczak.

Tristan Walczak