Bruins represent US, place fifth in World University Games

Rising junior attacker Paul Reynolds led Team USA with 18 goals in the World University Summer Games, in which Team USA finished fifth.

By and

July 29, 2013 12:04 a.m.

Only a small percentage of athletes in the world have the opportunity to compete at the NCAA Division I level. Even fewer are given the chance to represent their entire country on the grand stage of international athletic competition.

This summer, the UCLA men’s water polo team was granted the rare opportunity to represent the United States at the 2013 World University Summer Games held in Kazan, Russia, from July 6 to July 17.

“From someone who has had the opportunity to represent the United States in the Olympics and the World University Games, I can say that it was an amazing opportunity for our guys to represent our country,” said UCLA men’s water polo coach Adam Wright,
a three-time Olympian for the USA Men’s Senior National Team.

Held once every two years, the World University Games draw collegiate teams and athletes from across the globe to compete in a wide range of sports. Although the games are limited to collegiate athletes, the event still attracts some of the most talented athletes in the world.

UCLA faced national teams including Hungary and Serbia, which took gold and bronze medals respectively in water polo at this year’s summer games.

“They were playing guys who were 27 and 28 years old and who compete for their own national teams,” Wright said.

Despite the fierce international competition, the Bruins remained confident in their abilities, thanks to offensive performances such as those from rising junior attacker Paul Reynolds, who led his team in scoring with 18 total goals throughout the tournament.

“If we listen to our coach and commit to our team and our system, then I think we can compete with anybody,” Reynolds said.

Team USA placed fifth in the tournament, exceeding the expectations of many critics, as Reynolds said that some people thought their team would not even make it out of the first pool.

Rising redshirt freshman goalkeeper Garrett Danner was a major defensive factor for the United States; he was the tournament-leading goalkeeper with 90 total saves, 15 of which were made during Team USA’s 8-7 victory over Japan in its final game of the tournament.

In the end, the United States finished with a tournament record of 4-1-3, with wins over Montenegro, Belgium, Australia and Japan. While the team did not bring home a medal, it did bring home significant experience and a strengthened sense of camaraderie that it hopes will carry onto the regular season.

“After graduating some key players from last year, it was a good opportunity for the team to bond and grow closer,” Danner said.

Danner also said that he and several of his Bruin teammates expressed gratitude and enthusiasm at the chance to compete for the United States.

“Everyone was very excited. Not many college teams get the chance to represent their country in the World University Games,” Danner said.

Now, these members of the UCLA men’s water polo team look to use the experience as something that will strengthen the team going into the regular season.

“My hope is that they understand the level of concentration and commitment it takes to be successful,” Wright said.