UCLA student groups oppose Napolitano’s nomination

By Daily Bruin

July 18, 2013 8:59 a.m.

A coalition of campus groups across the University of California that support undocumented students officially opposed the nomination of Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano as the next UC president, in a statement released early Thursday.

The groups said that Napolitano’s record numbers of deportations while working in her federal post would compromise the feelings of safety that undocumented students have on campus.

“Although Ms. Napolitano’s appointment as the first woman to lead the UC system is historic, we believe that a candidate’s relevance to our diverse student community is more important than any other quality,” the statement reads.

The statement also said that the UC Student Association’s previous press release about Napolitano, which praised her nomination, was not representative of the undocumented student community’s views.

UCLA’s Improving Dreams, Equality, Access and Success, a support group for undocumented students, signed Thursday’s statement. The president’s and external vice president’s offices of UCLA’s Undergraduate Student Association said they support the statement in solidarity, according to the press release.

UCLA’s Afrikan Student Union, MEChA de UCLA, Muslim Student Association and Samahang Pilipino student groups also said they support the statement, according to the press release.

The UC Board of Regents will decide on Napolitano’s nomination and set the new president’s salary at its meeting today at 1 p.m. Napolitano will be present at the meeting in San Francisco.

Compiled by Kristen Taketa, Bruin senior staff.

Daily Bruin