UCSF police arrest protesters of Napolitano’s appointment

Multiple people were arrested at the UC regents meeting for refusing to disperse after police told them to do so.

By Daily Bruin

SAN FRANCISCO — University of California San Francisco police officers arrested six people at the UC Board of Regents meeting today, after they refused to disperse upon repeated police requests.

All six were protesting the presidential appointment of Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano. They were arrested for unlawful assembly and disturbing the peace, said Elizabeth Fernandez, UC San Francisco spokeswoman.

Two of the six were also arrested for resisting arrest, Fernandez said. They will all be cited and released, she added.

It is unclear at this time whether any of the arrestees are UC students.

Following the public comment portion of the regents’ special session to appoint Napolitano as the next UC president, two members of the public section jumped over a rope barrier and ran toward the regents table. They were arrested.

Public commenters – members of the undocumented community who claim Napolitano is unfit for the UC presidency because of her record on immigration reform – then burst into chants of “Undocumented is not a crime, Napolitano it’s not your time,” forcing the regents’ meeting into a temporary recess.

UCSF police ordered the commenters to disperse with a five-minute warning. After five minutes, the police proceeded to put zip ties on the protesters’ wrists and make the arrests.

Compiled by Katherine Hafner, Bruin senior staff.

Daily Bruin