Sadia Saifuddin approved as student regent-designate

Following her appointment as student regent-designate, Sadia Saifuddin speaks at a small press conference on Wednesday at UC San Francisco Mission Bay Conference Center.

By Katherine Hafner

The original version of this article contained information that was unclear and has been changed. See the bottom of the article for additional information.

SAN FRANCISCO — The University of California Board of Regents voted Wednesday to approve Sadia Saifuddin as this year’s student regent-designate, despite some controversy surrounding her support of a bill that calls for the UC to divest from companies that finance the Israeli military.

Saifuddin will serve alongside current Student Regent Cinthia Flores this year, attending meetings with Flores before taking over the student regent position in July 2014.

The student regent speaks on behalf of UC students at all board meetings.

Earlier this year, Saifuddin, a fourth-year UC Berkeley social welfare student, co-sponsored a controversial UC Berkeley student government bill to divest from companies that support Israel’s occupation of the Palestinian territories.

As a result, some members of the Jewish community have expressed that they do not think Saifuddin could accurately represent them as student regent.

The appointment was approved almost unanimously by the regents, with one abstention.

Regent Richard Blum expressed he did not feel comfortable approving Saifuddin, after he received many calls from members of the Jewish community who expressed concern.

“What I’m concerned about is on the issue of the (Israel divestment) boycott, it’s very divisive,” Blum said at the meeting. “If you’re going to be the student representative, you have to be able to represent all of the students.”

Many public commenters spoke out both against and in support of Saifuddin’s appointment during the public comment portion of the meeting on Wednesday.

Former Student Regent Jonathan Stein said during public comments that he thinks Saifuddin has a great record of reaching out to a variety of communities and has confidence she will continue to do so in her new position.

Tom Pessah, a doctoral student in sociology at UC Berkeley who also supported Saifuddin during public comments, said he is Jewish and does not feel that the bill she sponsored regarding Islamophobia was anti-Jewish.

“It’s just not true – the bill was passed unanimously (by Associated Students UC),” Pessah said. “She is open minded … and reaches out to a wide community.”

Saifuddin spoke at a small press conference with members of the media following her appointment on Wednesday.

“Being on the receiving end of these attacks is difficult, but not unexpected,” she said at the press conference. “I want to dispel the idea that because of divestment, the campus is divided … and make sure no one feels their voice is being left out of the table.”

She added that the primary issues she aims to address are campus climate and financial aid reform.

Saifuddin is believed to be the first practicing Muslim student regent at the UC, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Correction: Sadia Saifuddin sponsored a bill on Islamophobia.

Katherine Hafner