Q&A: Shortstop Pat Valaika on Friday’s win over Fullerton, MLB Draft

By Daily Bruin

June 8, 2013 10:19 a.m.

After UCLA baseball’s 5-3 win on Friday night in game one of a three-game Super Regional series against Cal State Fullerton, junior shortstop Pat Valaika spoke to Bruin Sports senior staffer Tyler Drohan about the team’s win and dealing with the Major League Baseball draft. Valaika was selected in the ninth round of the draft by the Colorado Rockies with the 259th overall pick.

Junior starter Nick Vander Tuig, who will start tonight’s game against Fullerton, was drafted Friday in the sixth round by the San Francisco Giants while fellow junior pitcher Zack Weiss was also taken in the sixth round by the Cincinnati Reds. Junior starter Adam Plutko, who pitched seven innings on Friday night, was not taken in the first 10 rounds of the draft.

On having to deal with the draft right before the game:

“Yeah, I mean, the draft, it’s kind of at an inopportune time, but it’s just another thing we have to deal with. Leading up to the game, guys were watching the draft, but I think once we got out to the field we set it aside and it didn’t really matter anymore. We’re here to play baseball for the Bruins and that’s all that matters and it was an awesome game to play in. Probably one of the most fun games I’ve ever played in, just a lot of emotion going on. Adam (Plutko), never seen Adam pitch like that, he was spot on; it was one of the most awesome sports experiences I’ve ever been a part of. It was just a great team win. We did a lot of things right. Guys were passing the baton, we were having good at-bats and you know we’ll enjoy this one for tonight and then we’ve got work to do (Saturday) and just try to keep getting better and take it one game at a time.”

When did you find out you were taken?

“We got to the field and I hadn’t been taken yet, and it really wasn’t on my mind anymore since we got to the field – I was focused on Fullerton and winning that game. And I think one of our managers or something heard about it so when I was going to the cage I saw (senior second baseman) Cody Regis (and) he just had the biggest smile on his face and came up and gave me a hug. That’s how I found out and I enjoyed it for maybe about a minute and then got back to hitting because these games mean a lot more right now.”

Thoughts on being drafted in the ninth round by the Rockies after going undrafted in high school:

“You know, I’m just very excited, I’m excited to be a Rocky, but to be honest I’m a Bruin right now. I’m still in school and we’ve still got a job to do. So, I’m pumped because I got drafted by them. It’s a great organization, but I’ll think about that once this season is over with because we’ve been working all year to get to Omaha and Fullerton is kind of in our way so they’re on our mind right now. I think I’ll enjoy it a little more once this season’s over, whenever it is, but right now it’s just fun to play with this team and see it grow, and these games are awesome. It’s one of the most fun times to be a college baseball player.”

On fellow juniors Weiss and Vander Tuig being taken Friday, and Plutko not being taken:

“I’m pumped for the guys that did get picked and the guys that didn’t, you know everything will work itself out. Adam, you know, pitched a hell of a game, probably one of his best games because he had to deal with a lot of stuff going on. I’m extremely proud to call him my teammate and just I was kind of in awe of playing shortstop behind him, just seeing how he was getting through everything. It kind of chokes me up a little bit because he’s a great friend of mine and it was awesome to see how he performed.”

Compiled by Tyler Drohan, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Daily Bruin