Three Bruins picked up in Day Two of MLB Draft

By Daily Bruin

For much of the season, UCLA baseball has been defined by its pitching and defense.

On Friday, the second day of the Major League Baseball draft, the Bruins’ strength on the mound and in the field was validated.

Junior pitchers Nick Vander Tuig and Zack Weiss, along with junior shortstop Pat Valaika – the Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year – were taken in the draft.

Vander Tuig (11-4, 2.51 earned run average) was the first Bruin baseball player to come off the board, taken in the sixth round of the draft with the 192nd pick overall by the San Francisco Giants. UCLA’s team leader in wins this season, Vander Tuig made a huge jump from where he was taken out of high school (39th round).

Soon after, Weiss was also taken in the sixth round of the draft with the 195th pick overall by the Cincinnati Reds. In 2010, Weiss was taken in the 10th round of the draft by the Pittsburgh Pirates. The junior from Irvine, Calif. is second on the team with 40 relief appearances and sports a 2-1 record with a 2.37 ERA this season.

The last UCLA player to hear his name called on Friday was Valaika, who was taken in the ninth round by the Colorado Rockies with the 259th pick in the draft.

In a bit of a surprise, the Bruins’ pitching ace Adam Plutko has yet to be taken in the draft. A sixth round pick out of high school, Plutko (8-3, 2.51 ERA) became UCLA’s all-time postseason wins leader last week and started tonight’s Super Regional game against Cal State Fullerton.

On Saturday, the final 30 rounds of the 40-round draft will take place, with other Bruin juniors and seniors hoping to hear their name called.

Compiled by Tyler Drohan, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Daily Bruin