USAC Endorsement: Nicole Fossier for External Vice President

The Daily Bruin Editorial Board endorsed candidates for all 13 offices in this week’s undergraduate student government elections.

The editorial board represents the stance of the Daily Bruin, and is composed of four standing members – the editor-in-chief, managing editor, news editor and opinion editor – in addition to five staff representatives.

The endorsement process took place the week before voting began. Endorsements were primarily based on a 20-minute interview that three to four members of the editorial board conducted with each candidate. During these interviews, candidates were able to discuss their platforms, knowledge of the Undergraduate Students Association Council and prior experience.

The board selected endorsements for each office after discussing each candidate and taking a vote. All endorsed candidates received a majority vote from the board.

We encourage students to use our endorsements as a starting point for their own research – and to vote in the elections.

See who the board endorsed:

By Editorial Board

Both candidates for external vice president are well-qualified, but this board endorses Nicole Fossier because her platforms specifically detail how she will advocate for and with students.

Like her opponent, Maryssa Hall, Fossier has years of experience working in the office and with various other students groups. Both understand the state’s relationship to the University of California and why the UC has experienced declining state funding.

Though Fossier and Hall both want to help student groups advocate for themselves, Hall did not present any concrete strategies. In contrast, Fossier plans to give the appropriate student groups the tools to lobby for their interests, which she has already done successfully as a leader of the Bruin Lobby Corps’ “Teach Me How to Lobby” program.

Fossier has repeatedly stated that her office will not take up issues that alienate some groups on campus, such as affirmative action. This philosophy – that the external vice president’s office should be based on inclusivity – makes her stand out.

Further, Fossier’s plan to help alleviate the financial strain on students starts with reforming the process of appointing UC Regents – a goal that the University of California Student Association, which Fossier is a part of, has already been working toward. UCSA-drafted legislation proposed creating a committee of students, faculty, campus workers and legislators that the governor has to consult with before making appointments. This way, more people with a background in education can be appointed to the board.

Though amending the state constitution is a lofty goal, we appreciate that Fossier is working to accomplish a task where significant progress has already been made.

We believe that Fossier’s plans will truly serve a wide range of students, making her the better candidate to serve as external vice president.

Editorial Board