Humans of Westwood: April 20-25

By Erin Ng

"People have been painting solutions to poverty and placing their hand prints for solidarity."
Seen on Bruin Walk.

(Erin Ng/Daily Bruin)

She left a trail of soulful music with her harmonica as she walked to class.
Seen by Powell Library.

(Erin Ng/Daily Bruin)

I walked past at least ten trucks filled with media equipment.
"We're filming a commercial for Samsung."
Seen by Haines Hall.

(Erin Ng/Daily Bruin)

"What is your favorite thing about your sorority?"
"Only one? It would probably be the history and legacy of the organization and its commitment to service first and foremost. It stands the test of time. We're 105 years old and we have been on the UCLA campus for almost 90 years now."
Seen on Bruin Walk.

(Erin Ng/Daily Bruin)

It started drizzling on Wednesday, but that didn't stop these ladies from picnicking under the shelter of Royce.
Seen at Royce Hall.

(Erin Ng/Daily Bruin)

"That....is such an awesome hammock."
"I got it from my grandma for Christmas."
Seen by Janss Steps.

(Erin Ng/Daily Bruin)

"I couldn't help but notice you guys have matching backpacks."
"Aw yeah, I called him up this morning to make sure we coordinated."
Seen on Bruin Walk.

(Erin Ng/Daily Bruin)

Girl on the left: "I am from Armenia. I love the history--it's thousands of years old--and the food and music."
Girl on the right: "I am from Pakistan. I love its rich and colorful culture."
Seen in Wilson Plaza.

(Erin Ng/Daily Bruin)

"People interact with the globe and track where they started out, where they end up, where their parents are from, or where they want to go. It's so interesting to see people's journeys. We are all connected even though we are advocating different issues and come from different places."
Seen in Wilson Plaza.

(Erin Ng/Daily Bruin)

"I couldn't help but notice you have really awesome hair."
"Okay, I don't mean to brag, but I mean a lot of people talk about my hair. You totally just made my day."
Seen by Powell Library.

(Erin Ng/Daily Bruin)

She smiled as I gave a long-winded introduction about how I take pictures of interesting people I come across and would love a photograph of her. After a few seconds of silence, I was fully prepared for a rejection when she chuckled, "No English."
"Oh!" I was embarrassed that she patiently listened to my whole spiel. "Where are you from?" She answered me in another language. After a few guesses, I figured out she was speaking Russian. I whipped out my iPhone and proceeded to have a twenty minute conversation with her through Google Translate in which I typed out questions and she answered yes or no. I learned that her name is Katerina. She came to Los Angeles from St. Petersburg four months ago and is knitting a sweater for her daughter, Ana, as she waits for her to get out of class."
Seen in the Sculpture Garden.

(Erin Ng/Daily Bruin)

Technology win.

(Erin Ng/Daily Bruin)

During my conversation with Katerina in the Sculpture Garden, I asked her what her daughter studies at UCLA. She kept repeating, "de-fect-ology" and I was never able to guess it. When I returned to the office, a fellow editor who has studied Russian was able to type out the word with the Russian keyboard and this is what we found. Technology. Win. Again.

(Erin Ng/Daily Bruin)

Erin Ng