Pac-12 tournament offers chance for women’s tennis to refine individual play

Junior Morgan Thomas reached the quarterfinals of last year’s Pac-12 Championships with her partner, redshirt senior Holly Fleming.

Women's tennis

PAC-12 CHAMPIONSHIPS
Today to Sunday
Ojai, Calif.

In the Pac-12 women’s tennis tournament, which begins today, the Bruins will have a rare opportunity to test their players in an environment that places less emphasis on team performance. As one of the top 10 teams in the conference, UCLA has the chance to send three singles players and one doubles team to compete.

“We appreciate the opportunity to be able to play in the individuals tournament at this point in the season. It can be tough, at the same time, but we’re all trying to look at it as a chance to work on individual things without the pressure of a team match,” said junior Courtney Dolehide.

With the NCAA championships on the horizon, the tournament provides the Bruins with the opportunity to rest players who have been hampered by injury, such as freshman Catherine Harrison and sophomore Robin Anderson.

“I think the tournament is important and it’s fun and something I think the players look forward to, but it’s not something we’ll do to sacrifice any of our players to play it,” said coach Stella Sampras Webster.

But neither the coach nor players on the team are downplaying the importance of the tournament or their interest in competing well in it.

“We take it seriously. It’s just we take our bodies more seriously. … It would be more beneficial if we rested,” said Dolehide.

Coming off a 6-1 loss to their crosstown rivals, the USC Trojans, in their final regular season match, the Bruins said they hope to use this match as yet another step toward the national championship, both through resting players and allowing less experienced players more playing opportunities.

“Players that need more matches will play, and players that don’t and are banged up, will not play … because it’s all about getting ready for NCAAs as well,” said Sampras Webster.

However, this week’s tournament is not merely an opportunity for practice.

For players who competed in the tournament last year also, the coming days offer a chance to improve upon their prior efforts.

Two of the players competing are redshirt senior Holly Fleming and junior Morgan Thomas.

Last year, Fleming and Thomas reached the quarterfinals of the Pac-12 tournament as a doubles pairing. However, with another year under her belt, Thomas feels even more prepared than she had felt for last year’s tournament.

“I’m really excited. I’m looking forward to playing in the tournament,” Thomas said. “I think this year I feel better, faster, stronger than I did for last year’s tournament.”