Physics and Astronomy Building evacuated

By Jillian Beck

The UCLA Physics and Astronomy Building was evacuated this afternoon after a control panel overheated, setting off automatic fire alarms, according to UCLA Fire Department officials.

The overheating of a control panel on the B level of the building caused smoke to permeate up the elevator shaft to other levels of the building, said Steve Jurado, assistant fire marshal for the UCLA Fire Department. When the smoke reached the first floor it set off the automatic fire alarm.

The UCLA Fire Department responded automatically to the alarm which went off at 1:07 p.m., and firefighters arrived on the scene shortly after, police officials said.

Students, staff and faculty inside the building evacuated the premises but are expected to return once the smoke in the building is ventilated out, Jurado said.

Jurado said he does not expect any damage to the building. If there is any damage, it will be confined to the electronic control panel, he added.

Compiled by Jillian Beck, Bruin senior staff. With additional reporting by James Barragan and Erin Donnelly, Bruin senior staff.

Jillian Beck