USAC Recap – April 9

By hong chen

Undergraduate Students Association Council is the official student government of UCLA’s undergraduate students. Council meetings are Tuesdays at 7 p.m. in Kerckhoff 417 and are open to all students.

Agenda

– About 100 students attended the meeting for public comments.

– The weekly contingency funds were unanimously approved by the council.

– The council unanimously approved of a resolution that requires prospective USAC candidates to contact the Election Board by 5 p.m. on Apr. 5. Candidates must turn in their applications by 5 p.m. on Apr. 9 in order to be on the official ballot.

– The council approved a resolution that supports removing lifetime maximum benefit caps from the current UC Students Health Insurance Plan with a vote of 10-0-1. Cassarah Chu, student wellness commissioner, abstained from voting.

– The council unanimously voted to table a resolution that calls on the university to only make investments in companies do not engage in human rights and labor violations. The council plans to host a forum about the issue, but has not yet determined a date.

– Taylor Mason, cultural affairs commissioner, was absent from the meeting.

Officer Reports

– USAC President David Bocarsly said the Office of Residential Life will no longer host a Holi celebration this year and that his office is planning the event.

– Bocarsly also said the USAC endowment papers are complete and the endowment will initially have $100,000. Bylaws proposals on the endowment will come in future meetings.

-Lana El-Farra, external vice president, said her office plans to hold a week of action on the mayoral elections and a student loan debt workshop next week.

– Andrea Hester, internal vice president, announced that Career Week is this week, and that both Bruin Transfer Pride Week and Ally Week will be held during week three of spring quarter.

– Kim Davis, academic affairs counselor, said her office will host Academic Inequity Awareness week during week three of spring quarter and will include a film screening, a roundtable discussion with Los Angeles Unified School District educators and an art display on separate days.

Special Presentations

– Cyrus Sinai, co-director of Ally Week and a board member of the Queer Alliance, presented on Ally Week, a week of activities focused on building student support for LGBT students.

Compiled by Hong Chen, Bruin contributor.

hong chen