Women’s water polo leave Bay Area with double wins

By Daily Bruin

The UCLA women’s water polo team was on double duty, competing against two Bay Area teams on the same afternoon; one against No. 9 San Jose State and one against Santa Clara.

On Friday afternoon, the Bruins went up against San Jose State Spartans and the Bruins held a strong lead throughout the game.

After about a minute of play, San Jose State scored a goal, the only lead the Spartans held all day. In a 15-8 win, UCLA had eight players score goals, six of whom also scored goals later that day against Santa Clara.

Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Sami Hill finished the day with seven saves.

In UCLA’s fifth-straight victory, the No. 4 Bruins dominated both games, defeating Santa Clara 16-6. Sophomore Emily Donohoe played both games reaching a career-high six goals against San Jose State and adding three goals against Santa Clara later that day ending with a total of nine goals.

Donohoe scored the final goal of the night for UCLA with 38 seconds left to play.

Sophomore Danielle Ferraro led the Bruins in scoring in the second game with four goals. She also played the first game of the day, adding one goal to her total five goals for the day.

The team will travel up north again on Saturday to compete against No. 2 Stanford for a chance to redeem its loss against the Cardinal from early February.

This game will mark a key game for the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation seedings, which is coming up in late April.

Compiled by Marion Patricio, Bruin Sports contributor.

Daily Bruin