UCLA trails Minnesota 35-25 at halftime

By Ryan Menezes

AUSTIN, Texas – If UCLA’s season is ending today, it is doing so in a most unspectacular fashion.

The Bruins are struggling to make baskets, but they haven’t had the ball much anyway. Minnesota leads the second-round NCAA Tournament game, 35-25, at the half as the Golden Gophers have stymied the Bruins with a zone defense.
UCLA shot 8 of 30 from the field, a 26.7 percent mark. In addition, the Bruins committed 10 turnovers as they struggled to attack the middle of the zone defense in front of them.

Down to just seven scholarship players, most of the UCLA frontline is in foul trouble. Redshirt junior forward Travis Wear and freshman center Tony Parker both have three fouls. Wear played an extended stretch despite the foul trouble, but lacked the aggressiveness he usually plays with as he tried to not pick up his fourth.
The Bruins are still struggling to get their offense going without Jordan Adams to keep defenses in check. Freshman guard Shabazz Muhammad shot 0-for-7 from the field in the first half, scoring all five of his points from the free-throw line. UCLA’s leading scorer is David Wear, who has nine points.
Meanwhile, 11 Gophers have seen the floor. Sophomore guard Andre Hollins leads all of them with 11 halftime points.
Compiled by Ryan Menezes, Bruin Sports senior staff

Ryan Menezes