Genetically modified products sold by Whole Foods receive labels

Whole Foods Market, a national grocery chain with a location in Westwood, announced last week that it will voluntarily label all of its genetically modified foods, beginning in 2018.

By Dylan Nguyen

UCLA students and Westwood consumers can expect to see labeling of genetically modified foods during  their future visits to Whole Foods Market within the next five years.

In response to consumer demand, Whole Foods, a national grocery chain with a location in Westwood, announced last week it will require labeling of its genetically modified products. The change will take full effect by 2018, according to a Whole Foods press release. The company is the first private firm in the nation to require labels on all of its genetically modified products.

Genetically modified foods have been sold in grocery stores since the 1990s. Since then, the debate over the prominence of genetically altered food has intensified.

Whole Foods promotes itself as a market that primarily sells natural and organic groceries. The company initiated the policy change in support of more transparency and the right of consumers to know about the food it sells, said Kate Lowery, the global public relations director  for Whole Foods.

Whole Foods’ new policy is also in response to rising consumer demand for organic foods, Lowery said.

Matthew Cadelago, a fourth-year physiological science student who is interested in nutrition, said he is in favor of the labeling, but feels it may lead to a false conception that genetically altered products are unhealthy.

“I think many foods are already modified,” Cadelago said. “You would have to stop eating these foods if you really don’t want modified food.”

Companies that have to label or completely stop genetic modifications build up major costs. Cadelago said he found it is easy to understand why big corporations are against these policies.

Sean Hecht, executive director of the UCLA Environmental Law Center, said the demand for organic food appears to be rising.

He added that Whole Foods is ultimately a business, and has the responsibility to make money for its shareholders, especially when demand for organic foods seems to be rising.

Lowery said that Whole Foods has been closely collaborating with its suppliers to adjust to the policy change. Adjustments include supplying more organic products and less genetically modified foods to accommodate the growing organic foods demand.

Joanna Wheaton, a fourth-year political science student and co-chair of the Ecology, Economy, Equity environmental student group, said that it is nice to see a company taking matters into their own hands for more progressive consumer options. Wheaton said that the organization plans to continue educating students about the issue, but is unsure about the impact Whole Foods’ decision will make on the debate as a whole.

“One thing to consider is that Whole Foods does not offer many (genetically modified foods),” Wheaton said. “Many of their customers are already aware of the issue and were in support of Proposition 37.”

By a slim margin, California voters rejected a ballot initiative that would have required suppliers in the state to label genetically modified products.

Hecht said because Proposition 37 did not pass, it is hard to determine whether the demand for organic foods is strong.

Lowery said although Proposition 37 did not pass in the state, she thinks the issue has reached a national audience.

“There are many states and more groups in support of transparency,” Lowery said. “We are encouraged about all the efforts that are going on, but we are going on our own track.”

Dylan Nguyen