UCLA basketball clinches Pac-12 regular-season title

By Daily Bruin

The original photo credit contained an error and has been changed. See the bottom of the article for additional information.

SEATTLE — For the first time since 2008, UCLA has won the Pac-12 regular season championship.

The No. 23 Bruins clinched at least a share of the crown by beating the Washington Huskies 61-54, the first time they’ve won at Alaska Airlines Arena since 2004.

The Utah Utes took care of the rest by knocking off the Oregon Ducks 72-62 in Salt Lake City, making UCLA the outright champion.

“We prepared so much for this,” said freshman Shabazz Muhammad, the team’s leading scorer. “Coach Howland really had us prepare for this on the defensive and offensive end. Coming in as a freshman, I didn’t know it was going to be this hard to win the Pac-12, and we did a really good job.”

UCLA will be the No. 1 seed in Las Vegas next week for the Pac-12 Tournament, and has earned a first-round bye. The Bruins (23-8, 13-5 Pac-12) will play Thursday at noon on Pac-12 Networks and await the winner of Wednesday’s No. 8 seed v. No. 9 seed game.

“From here on out, all eyes are on us,” said redshirt senior guard Larry Drew. “Everything is on the line from this point forward. … There’s no room for slippage anymore.”

Compiled by Sam Strong, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Correction: The photo is by Sam Strong.

Daily Bruin