Pac-12 Power Rankings: March 5

By Ryan Menezes

1. Oregon (23-6, 12-4, Last week: No. 1)

The Ducks’ most valuable player returned Thursday with Dominic Artis back in the lineup. The freshman point guard was limited but still made an impact in just 12 minutes on the court. He returned with just enough time to get his legs back before the postseason. Oregon finishes the season with a tough two-game road trip. If the Ducks drop one, UCLA is in prime position to take the conference championship.

This week: Thursday at Colorado, Saturday at Utah

2. UCLA (22-7, 12-4, Last week: No. 2)

All those pleading for Ben Howland to get fired are finding little ammunition in recent weeks. Despite a young team with a propensity to make mistakes, UCLA’s coach has the Bruins winning and in contention for a Pac-12 championship in the final week. Can you fire a coach after that? UCLA finishes on the road as well, but needs some help to win the Pac-12.

This week: Wednesday at Washington State, Saturday at Washington

3. California (20-9, 12-5, Last week: No. 3)

Make it seven in a row for the Bears. They probably won’t be in contention for the regular-season championship but they have come much farther than was anticipated. Cal finishes at home Wednesday then gets a whole week off before the Pac-12 tournament. A win over their rivals and they will take the “conference’s hottest team” tag over to Las Vegas.

This week: Wednesday v. Stanford

4. Arizona (23-6, 11-6, Last week: No. 4)

The high national ranking that had been attached to Arizona’s name for the entire season was always overrated. The Wildcats showed why this week, getting swept in Los Angeles. They rely on Mark Lyons to score and don’t have a real point guard to make decisions. A floor general could help get the ball to their side down low, where Arizona has a huge, under-utilized advantage.

This week: Saturday at Arizona State

5. USC (14-15, 9-7, Last week: No. 7)

The Southern California team that showed up against UCLA was awful. The one that swept the Arizona schools this week is a more accurate portrayal of what USC is. The Trojans continue to be dangerous since their coaching change, especially when Jio Fontan (12 points, nine assists against Arizona) is feeling it.

This week: Wednesday at Washington, Saturday at Washington State

6. Colorado (19-9, 9-7, Last week: No. 5)

The Buffaloes may be a notch below the Trojans here but the reality is that Colorado has the better shot of making it to the NCAA Tournament as an at-large. While these rankings may value the conference season a little more, the selection committee is looking for non-conference wins. Colorado is lucky it has those to offset a number of bad losses, like a 16-point blowout in Berkeley on Saturday.

This week: Thursday v. Oregon, Saturday v. Oregon State

7. Arizona State (20-10, 9-8, Last week: No. 6)

The Sun Devils’ eggs are all in the Pac-12 tournament basket now after losing to USC on Saturday, which completed an 0-2 Los Angeles trip. Arizona State also cannot finish in the top four, meaning it has an arduous four-wins-in-four-days trek if it wants to make the NCAA tournament (which was done by Colorado just last season). Beating its rival would give ASU some momentum to do that.

This week: Saturday at Arizona

8. Stanford (17-13, 8-9, Last week: No. 8)

Losing at home to Colorado on Wednesday was the third straight time Stanford lost in Maples Pavilion this season. The Cardinal bounced back by beating Utah on Sunday but it will look back on its inability to defend its home-court as the chief reason an NCAA tournament bid slipped away. Stanford also finishes its season with a rivalry game, this time on the road.

This week: Wednesday at California

9. Washington (16-13, 8-8, Last week: No. 9)

It has been a down season for coach Lorenzo Romar’s Huskies, who will likely finish short of the 20-win plateau for the first time in five years. At least Washington has bragging rights over its cross-state rival after sweeping the season series on Sunday. Washington’s home-court advantage has been vulnerable this season, so it will be interesting to see if the Huskies can beat the Bruins at home for the 10th straight time.

This week: Wednesday v. USC, Saturday v. UCLA

10. Utah (11-17, 3-13, Last week: No. 10)

While the Utes’ slow-ball offense hasn’t been successful, it works to drive Pac-12 teams mad for limited stretches of games. They lost both games this week by 18 points, never really grasping control of either game. For a week, at least, Utah’s prowess of covering the spread was muted.

This week: Thursday v. Oregon State, Saturday v. Oregon

11. Oregon State (13-16, 3-13, Last week: No. 11)

The Beavers and Utes are virtually indistinguishable, so it’s great that they’re playing this week. Hopefully some “We’re No. 10!” signs are ready in the Utah crowd for that one. Both teams are on four-game losing streaks so at least somebody at the bottom can feel like a winner for a day.

This week: Thursday at Utah, Saturday at Colorado

12. Washington State (11-18, 2-14, Last week: No. 12)

While Utah and Oregon State are bad, Washington State is the unquestioned worst. Not much to mention here, apart from the fact that the Cougars’ losing streak is now at nine games. UCLA has won 18 straight in Pullman, Wash. so it’s tough to see that streak snapping soon.

This week: Wednesday v. UCLA, Saturday v. USC

Ryan Menezes