Album Review: ‘Heartthrob’

Heartthrob

Tegan and Sara
WARNER BROS.

By Shreya Aiyar

After a hiatus of three years, Tegan and Sara, Canadian indie rocker twins based in heartfelt guitar-laden music, have burst back onto the scene with their seventh studio production “Heartthrob.”

A radical departure from the angst-ridden, guitar-heavy tracks of the twins’ earlier albums, “Heartthrob” explores breakups and make-ups, but with a decidedly mainstream and upbeat spin to the music. Laden with heavy synth and electronic distortions, the album may come as a shock to fans of the old Tegan and Sara but serves as a decent introduction to new listeners.

The opening track and the album’s first single, “Closer,” quickly pushes the listener away from the group’s indie rock sound, a trademark of Tegan and Sara’s previous six records. As the introduction to Tegan and Sara’s new electronic and dance vibes, “Closer” uses colorful lyrics and a cheerful tone to start off the album and debuts the group’s new sound well.

The next number, “Goodbye, Goodbye,” doesn’t diverge much from the mood set by “Closer.” Bouncy and reminiscent of ’80s pop music, the lively and energetic melody contrasts jarringly with the emotional lyrics (“Goodbye/ I don’t wanna/ Feel the need/ To see your face”) and may be unsettling for the veteran Tegan and Sara fan used to moody melodies and lyrics working in sync.

A strong point in “Heartthrob” is the song “I Couldn’t Be Your Friend.” The spirited feel of the track is more laid-back and not as obnoxious as the other synth-heavy tracks, but, as is the case in “Goodbye, Goodbye,” the jaunty tune is at odds with the increasingly emotional lyrics.

The best track in the album may very well be “Love They Say.” A throwback to tracks from Tegan and Sara’s earlier albums, this easygoing acoustic take on the hopefulness of young love gives a refreshing break from the dance and pop vibes that dominate the album. With a refined and catchy sound and an optimistic message, the song is a nice change from a series of tracks that get progressively similar and repetitive.

At points, the album seems to be trying too hard to transition smoothly to the mainstream dance scene. The majority of the songs sound too similar to be enjoyable for long. “I Was A Fool” shifts nicely from a slow, beautiful piano hook to the start of catchy lyrics. Unfortunately, the song fails to live up to the potential set by the introduction and instead features a boring and repetitive chorus that never seems to end. Similarly, “Drove Me Wild” contributes nothing new and exciting and fades back into the shadows of the middle of the album.

The closing number, “Shock To Your System,” continues the streak of musical gems that “I Couldn’t Be Your Friend” and “Love They Say” build toward the end of the album. With heavy bass, synth, and a pulsating introduction, “Shock To Your System” finishes the album strongly and ends Tegan and Sara’s mainstream debut with a bang.

Although “Heartthrob” is Tegan and Sara’s seventh production, it is far from perfect. A major divergence from the sound the twins built their fame upon, the album has less variation than what fans hoped for but still hits the right notes with “Love They Say” and “I Couldn’t Be Your Friend.” Longtime fans of Tegan and Sara may take some time getting used to their new sound, but behind the heavy electronic distortions and dance floor vibes lie the same dynamic duo the indie rock scene knows and loves.

Email Aiyar at [email protected].

Shreya Aiyar