Increase of flu infections prompts students to take measures

By

The recent surge in reported flu cases in California has caused students to turn to on-campus resources to help prevent infection or deal with the symptoms.

This week, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention updated California’s flu activity from “regional” to “widespread“ in response to the increase in flu infections.

Though the outbreak is more severe than recent years, it is still within the average range of infection, said Dr. Jonathan Fielding, a professor of health services and pediatrics at the UCLA Fielding School of Public Health.

Given the uptick in influenza cases, the UCLA Arthur Ashe Health and Wellness Center has started preparations to treat students who have flu symptoms, which include fever, cough, headaches and fatigue, according to the Centers for Disease Control.

David Phillips, a first-year undeclared student, caught the flu last week.

“I just started getting a cough and just feeling out of sorts,” Phillips said.

He went to the Ashe Center where he said medical staff treated him for severe dehydration caused by the flu. He said a nurse connected him to an IV drip that replaced two liters of fluid he had lost from fighting the infection.

For students like Phillips, the center will provide urgent care in the afternoon, from 3 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., said Amrit Ubhi, administrative and special projects coordinator for the Ashe Center.

In addition to helping those already feeling sick, the Ashe Center will have resources for the rest of the week for students who want to take preventative measures for the flu.

Ubhi said free flu shots for registered students are being made available until at least Friday and will continue further based on need.

Some students have been taking advantage of the Ashe Center’s services and taking measures to avoid getting the flu.

Genevieve Valenzuela, a fourth-year Latin American studies student, got a flu shot on the advice of her doctor. So far, she said she has not gotten ill. “Plus in my backpack, I have my hand sanitizer with me and I use it all the time,” she said. But taking precautions does not guarantee someone will not contract the flu, Fielding said.

“The only thing predictable about the flu is its unpredictability,” he said.

Though preventative measures like flu shots can be taken, Fielding said once students have the infection, they should stay at home from work or school until a day after the fever has subsided.

“(The flu) is communicable from about one day before symptoms to about five to seven days after,” he said. “Don’t cough or sneeze without covering yourself, and wash your hands frequently.”

Phillips, who missed an entire week of class while he was recovering from the flu, said he will now have to play catch-up for the rest of the quarter. “Now I’m really behind,” he said. “It’ll be like I’m studying for midterms from now until midterms.”

Email Truong at [email protected].