New University of California logo met with criticism

The University of California has introduced a new systemwide logo in past months, sparking criticism more recently from students and alumni.

The UC found a lack of consistency with the original logo, and aimed to modernize its design to go along with systemwide outreach in the state, said UC spokeswoman Dianne Klein.

The new logo features a shield-shaped “U” and a smaller C” within it, designed by a team of in-house staff, Klein said.

Klein said the older logo, which depicts an open book and the words “let there be light,” will still continue to be used by the University on official documents and graduation diplomas. The new logo will serve more for informal systemwide news and communication ““ as well as on the University website, she added.

The new logo has prompted an online petition on Change.org, called “University of California: Stop the change of the UC logo.”

The petition, started Friday, had received 25,363 signatures ““ including those of students and alumni ““ as of 7:17 p.m. Saturday.

“The newly redesigned logo of the University of California, while attempting to be modern, loses the prestige and elegance of the current logo,” the petition states. The petition also asks signers to appeal to the UC Board of Regents to consider an “alternative solution.”

The University is open to the feedback it has received about the new logo, Klein said.

“There are some (people) who don’t like it, and some who think that (the design) is long overdue,” Klein said. “We are listening to everybody and think feedback is important.”

Still, the University hopes the change will be an effective marketing strategy without compromising its identity, Klein said.

“(The new logo) is part of a larger effort to communicate the multifaceted aspect of the UC system as a whole. “¦ It doesn’t replace individual campus identities,” Klein said. “What this does is allow for better systemwide marketing campaigns, for one.”

Compiled by Katherine Hafner, Bruin senior staff.