Hill robbery suspect out on bail

By Erin Donnelly

Dec. 6, 2012 1:02 a.m.

Police arrested a man in connection with two armed robberies near and on campus hours after they occurred early Saturday morning.

Two students were robbed at gunpoint early Saturday morning, one at 400 Midvale Ave. and one near the Tom Bradley International Hall at 417 Charles E. Young Drive.

Juwan Philip Thomas, a 19-year-old man, was arrested for armed robbery in his home in Inglewood Saturday morning.

One of the students who was robbed saw the license plate number of a silver Toyota coupe the men used to flee the scene, according to the statement.

Police arrested Thomas, the car’s owner, and recovered a cellphone stolen from one of the students.

Thomas was released from custody on bail early Tuesday morning and is set to appear in court on Dec. 24 to hear the formal reading of his charges.

No one was hurt in either robbery, according to a statement from university police released Monday. University police are currently investigating the incidents.

An armed robbery on the Hill has not been reported to UCPD in more than 5 years.

A second man described in connection to the robberies was described in the report as black, 22-27 years old, 5 feet 2 inches to 5 feet 4 inches tall, with a muscular build and dark clothing.

Police recommend students remain aware of their surroundings and avoid walking alone or in unlit areas at night.

If confronted by a robber, UCPD recommends students comply with the person’s requests and obtain a detailed description of the person.

Anyone with information about the robberies can contact UCPD at 310-825-1491.

Compiled by Erin Donnelly, Bruin senior staff.

Erin Donnelly